Emails with attachments stopped hitting poppeeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
popkat

Emails with attachments stopped hitting poppeeper

Post by popkat »

I noticed in the past week or so that my USPS Informed Delivery emails quit hitting my poppeeper free version account. After a few days of thinking I didn't have snail mail I checked my mailbox and it had mail. I logged into my yahoo account which sources poppeeper and all my USPS Informed Delivery emails were there, but weren't picked up by poppeeper free version. Then I noticed that another email I get regularly with attachments also didn't hit popeeper. So it would seem that poppeeper is not picking up emails with attachments anymore for some reason??? There are no errors (no yellow bang triangle) visible in the poppeeper for this issue either. I am currently using poppeeper 5.2.2.0. I have not changed any settings I know of lately in poppeeper to cause this. Any ideas? Thanks!
mjs

Re: Emails with attachments stopped hitting poppeeper

Post by mjs »

Please post answers to just a few questions to help us look into your issue:

1. Have you made any changes or updates to any security software on your computer (i.e. made changes to your Anti-Virus[AV] app or Firewall etc.) as of the time when this issue started?

2. What Windows Operating System are you using?

3. What AV program do you use?

4. What Firewall are you using?

5. What is the Email Service Account(s) you are using that produces this issue in POP Peeper (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook etc.)?

6. What protocols are being used for the specific account(s) (i.e. IMAP, POP3)?

7. If the specific Email Account(s) are using IMAP and support Oauth2, then are the accounts setup to use Oauth2?

8. Most importantly, please post what your "Message Retrieval" settings are in POP Peeper (it would be easiest to post a screen-shot of the settings) - From the main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" and select "Message Retrieval" for these settings. (you can click HERE for help with instructions on how to "post screen-shots into a forum topic" in the event you are not familiar with the procedure [FYI, your browser back-arrow will return to this topic after using the above help link].)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
popkat

Post by popkat »

Please post answers to just a few questions to help us look into your issue:

1. Have you made any changes or updates to any security software on your computer (i.e. made changes to your Anti-Virus[AV] app or Firewall etc.) as of the time when this issue started? - NO

2. What Windows Operating System are you using? - Windows 11 Home (for months prior to this issue starting)

3. What AV program do you use? - Norton 360

4. What Firewall are you using? - N/A

5. What is the Email Service Account(s) you are using that produces this issue in POP Peeper (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook etc.)? - Yahoo

6. What protocols are being used for the specific account(s) (i.e. IMAP, POP3)? - IMAP(have since unchecked Idle/Push with no change)

7. If the specific Email Account(s) are using IMAP and support Oauth2, then are the accounts setup to use Oauth2? - YES

8. Most importantly, please post what your "Message Retrieval" settings are in POP Peeper (it would be easiest to post a screen-shot of the settings) - From the main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" and select "Message Retrieval" for these settings.
poppeeper_message_retrieval.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for the feedback.

Just an FYI - POP Peeper is now on version 5.4.4 (just to let you know :wink:) - not that this would have anything to do with your specific issue that has cropped up over the past week (to be clear, I'm very certain that it would not).

Note that "Message Retrieval" settings can be overridden per-account: by doing an edit on the account and going to the 'advanced' page - you can check to see if your settings specific to the account might be overriding your global "Message Retrieval" settings in a way that would impact your issue.

Based on your settings it would appear to me if another Email Service application is reading your messages (prior to getting retrieved by POP Peeper) then those messages may continue to not get retrieved by POP Peeper (based on your "Message Retrieval" settings, specific to the 2nd checked option toward the bottom of the settings page) . With that in mind, when you check at the POP Peeper "source" Email Service (i.e. logging into the account on the web) are the messages that fail to get retrieved by POP Peeper marked "read" or marked "unread" (at the source)?

I'm not sure myself what exactly might be causing your issue (other than possibly the above) - I'll post what my "Message Retrieval" settings are FWIW and suggest, if you will, settings you could try just to see if it might help your situation.

My "Message Retrieval" settings:
What I've used for 10+ years w/out any problems
What I've used for 10+ years w/out any problems
Suggested settings you might consider trying (that is, if the messages that fail to get retrieved by POP Peeper show up as "unread" in the relevant Email Service that is used to populate the POP Peeper Inbox - changes pointed out. On the other hand if the missing messages in POP Peeper are marked as "read" then you might consider disabling the option discussed above in regards to the 2nd checked option toward the bottom of the interface -- which, btw, would then match my settings):
Settings you might consider trying out (assuming your messages specific to your issue are marked as 'unread' in the source Email Service).
Settings you might consider trying out (assuming your messages specific to your issue are marked as 'unread' in the source Email Service).
On the other hand, you may prefer waiting on a reply from Jeff in regards to the issue you have. :-k

Of course if you do try changing the "Message Retrieval" settings - please let us know, if you will, what the change was and what you get as a result of the change.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Something else of interest I've found (not specifically having to do with messages not getting retrieved however but just in regards to message attachments relevant to using the "Preview" for "IMAP" Retrieval Option setting you're using FWIW): Re: not work correctly when the "preview option" is selected Note: comments highlighted in red were edits made by me relevant to your "Message Retrieval" settings.
Jeff wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm .... When you use preview for IMAP, it will download the full text portions of the email (plain and html, as applicable), but not the attachments.

v5.4.1 was just made available --
announcement
download
I would add as well, FWIW, that I too subscribe to "USPS Informed Delivery" and have not had any issues with this service in regards to POP Peeper nor have I been having any issues in regards to messages that include attachments in general not reaching my POP Peeper Inbox.

Let us know if you come up with any new developments regarding this issue.... beyond this, Jeff will likely have more to add to the topic (sorry I couldn't be of more help :().
popkat

Post by popkat »

I only use poppeeper to retrieve emails on one computer, so no other email agg programs used. Also the emails not retrieved by poppeeper were not already read when I discovered them in yahoo. Finally, I set my Mail Retrieval settings like yours but the behavior persists (no emails with attachments retrieved by poppeeper).
popkat

Post by popkat »

Also just upgraded to poppeeper 5.4.1.0. It seems that no combination of those webmail boxes checked nor dropdowns for IMAP in Message Retrieval result in retrieving my unread emails with attachments from yahoo into poppeeper.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you using a VPN of any kind (including via Norton)?

I'm at a loss as to what's the problem - you should not have a problem using the same "Message Retrieval" settings as I have.... :?

Have you tried exiting/restarting POP Peeper -- or perhaps better yet, tried rebooting your Windows 11 computer (not likely to help, but you never know for sure perhaps the issue is impacted by some kind of glitch/conflict of some kind)?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Trying to come up with more ideas (not that this will necessarily help in this case) but you could try right-clicking on the Yahoo account and if you're able to access (that is the option is not disabled) the "Disconnect" option listed in the right-click context menu, the third option down the list, try clicking on this option (to disconnect) and then sending a "test" message w/ an attachment to see if POP Peeper will retrieve the message.
popkat

Post by popkat »

No VPN...stopped using Norton's months ago due to a variety of webpage rendering issues. I have exited/entered poppeeper many times (i.e. after checking a variety of those webmail boxes). I have rebooted. I don't have a disconnect button when I right-click the individual offending account. I may try to delete and recreate the email and go through that vile oauth process tomorrow morning after a pot of coffee. Just to confirm this is what you use right?
poppeeper_message_retrieval_latest.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yes, that is what I use.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Update....everything seems to be right as rain this morning. Didn't do anything other than make my Message Retrieval boxes look like mjs's. I didn't delete and recreate my account either. Looks to be working just fine this morning for expected emails with attachments hitting poppeeper. Thank you so much for your help!!!!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Great news! =D> -- thanks for letting us know.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Do you remember what you changed in POP Peeper settings? None of the basic settings should prevent PP from displaying the headers in the message list (except if using "number of messages", but you'd notice that for all your messages, not just ones with an attachment; or if you applied a limit to the number of messages; or..... :roll: scratch that comment), so I'm just curious.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear it's working again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

For the record - the OP posted (initially):
popkat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:35 pm .... I have not changed any settings I know of lately in poppeeper to cause this. Any ideas? Thanks!
... and the issue at hand as I recall had been occurring over the past week or so... Oh ya (looking back at initial post) - the topic started out with "I noticed in the past week or so...". (that said, perhaps there were changes made that OP didn't recall however... :?)

And yes, I do agree it's a bit of a mystery as to what was causing the issue in the first place. :-k
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I was referencing this comment in popkat's last email:
popkat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:42 am Didn't do anything other than make my Message Retrieval boxes look like mjs's.
but maybe popkat had previously made any changes there but still had the problem? If so, and it did start working spontaneously, perhaps it was a server-side issue.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ It is my understanding that popcat had the problem prior (for about a "week or so") to making the change that matched my settings and based on comments posted it was popcat's recollection that no other recent changes of any kind to POP Peeper had been made (prior to posting the topic) that would possibly account for the problem (that remained persistent up until the change popcat referenced). Hence from popcat's perspective there was no way to account for what had caused the issue (that is, in respect to any POP Peeper settings). Perhaps popcat can confirm this?....

As I see it, it would appear (just as you have intimated Jeff) there shouldn't have been a problem in the first place, however since there was a problem, my goal (absent any way to know why the problem existed and after a protracted discussion) was to get popcat's email accounts back to working hence I ended up suggesting a couple of settings (including my own [since I knew they worked] after which, for-what-ever reason, the issue was resolved :?).

So popcat (as Jeff has previously asked) -- please let us know, if you might happen to at some point recollect any changes to POP Peeper you might have made prior to or during the posting of this topic (as of which time the problem remained persistent) other than my two suggested changes posted in this topic (one of which was a precursor to the resolution of the problem). This information could be very helpful in determining what the problem might have been (in regards to any setting changes you may have made that you may not have initially recalled off-hand :-k).
Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:43 pm ... perhaps it was a server-side issue.
Perhaps, but then the Server issue remained persistent for a "week or so" and the settings change that happened to precede a resolution of the problem would have been coincidental... certainly possible (stranger things have happened.... #-o), considering that popcat's former settings to start out with (see below) as posted HERE presumably shouldn't have caused the problem as reported (that is, entire messages that uniquely included attachments all failed to get retrieved by POP Peeper) -- it's arguably the best answer :-k.
Message Retrieval settings popcat reported to have had (prior to posting the forum topic) as reflected in this topic during which time the issue remained persistent. Also popcat did not recall making any changes to POP Peeper settings of any kind (prior to the issue arising) that might have possibly accounted for the problem.
Message Retrieval settings popcat reported to have had (prior to posting the forum topic) as reflected in this topic during which time the issue remained persistent. Also popcat did not recall making any changes to POP Peeper settings of any kind (prior to the issue arising) that might have possibly accounted for the problem.