Recent Update Causing Problems With OAuth2

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Zanaria

Recent Update Causing Problems With OAuth2

Post by Zanaria »

Since the recent update to PopPeeper some of my accounts randomly just start giving "Invalid Credentials" errors with OAuth2. I click the Reset OAuth2 link in the error message, it brings it up in the browser and I click Yes to allow, it says I can go back to PopPeeper, but when I go back, after a few seconds it says it failed.

I managed to fix this by going into my Google account and removing access to PopPeeper, then readding OAuth2 to the account, but that seems to have only lasted a day before it started doing it again.

This has only started happening since the last update, before that I did not have this problem.
mjs

Re: Recent Update Causing Problems With OAuth2

Post by mjs »

Still having the same problems?

Maybe take a look at the Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts? topic to see if anything discussed there might be of help in your case.

If you continue to have issues with Oauth2, then you might try creating an "App Password" for the troublesome account(s) and then setup the POP Peeper account(s) to use the alternate "Password" (drop-down) method instead of using the "Oauth2" (drop-down) option. If you do try using the "Password" method then you would enter the "App Password" that was generated for you by the Email Service (when you created the "App Password") into the problematic POP Peeper account(s) "Password" setting (instead of using the password you use to login into the account on-line). In the case of MS, you would not necessarily need to use (create) an "App Password" at all (when using the alternate "Password" method), but instead simply use the same password you use when logging into the account on the Web.

Here is some "Google" information about using "App Password" (as it appears you're issues involve Gmail): Sign in with App Passwords.

Note: Using an "App Password" requires using 2-Step Verification. In the event you prefer to not use "2-Step-Verification" then you can try the "run POP Peeper as admin technique" to set Oauth2 (requiring PPv5 which I presume you have) for your problematic Gmail account(s). It is very important to keep in mind that after you have set "Oauth2" by running POP Peeper elevated (i.e. running as Admin) then you must restart POP Peeper again in the "normal" fashion as you usually do (not running as Admin). Using this approach is intended to ONLY run an admin/elevated POP Peeper to successfully set Oauth2 and then to exit the elevated POP Peeper process. Click HERE for an explanation as far as (temporarily) starting POP Peeper with elevated/admin privileges.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Zanaria

Post by Zanaria »

I've tried running Pop Peeper as admin already. But still every day one after the other my accounts pop up saying Oauth2 problems and I need to reset it. I've seen it come up saying that I need to reset OAuth2 before because it expired, but this isn't the case, this isn't expiring, its happening every day. And it's only started happening after the last update. I'll try the app password method, but I shouldn't have to, it worked fine before the update so something in the update had to have broken it since nothing changed with my email accounts.

Also the OAuth2 is successfully being reset, the issue is that it's only lasting for a day before it pops up again with the same problem. And it seems like one of my accounts cant use app password because I have sign in through my phone.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The only reason that's suggested to run as Admin is if you're using an outdated OS (e.g. Win7). If you *are* using Win7, then you should probably use the password method instead of Oauth2 anyway. While I haven't heard of this problem with other win7 users, it's a possibility.

The last PP update was 3 months ago and Gmail made this change several months before that. If you've only started experiencing problems recently, then you've been on borrowed time.

If you want to try the previous version so we can see if it really is a problem with the current version, then email me and let me know what version you were using before (support at esumsoft dot com).