POP Peeper Terminates with C++ Library Error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
temuskoff

POP Peeper Terminates with C++ Library Error

Post by temuskoff »

I have POP Peeper v5.4.5.0 running on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 up to date with Windows Update.

At random times (maybe 1 or 2 times per week) POP Peeper terminates with a C++ Runtime Error popup.
This has been happening for the previous 2 or 3 months.

After working correctly for several days, POPpeeper will show this message on my desktop.
RTError.png
I can still open POPpeeper with the above error showing on the desktop and it works normally although it is not downloading any new messages.

The event log does not register a problem until I click the "OK" button (above) which causes POPpeeper to end execution and then this log entry appears...
EVL.png
I start POPpeeper again and all is well until the next time.
The next message that arrived after restarting is from Gmail but is noting unusual in content.

Can you help me diagnose this problem?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POP Peeper Terminates with C++ Library Error

Post by Jeff »

Do you put your computer to sleep and have you noticed if it's more likely to occur after resuming from sleep? (this may not be relevant, just a theory)

Also, as an experiment, edit any IMAP accounts you have and disable the "Idle/push" feature ("general", bottom-right). Whether you get a crash or feel changing this has made a difference, email me (support at esumsoft dot com).
temuskoff

Post by temuskoff »

My computer never sleeps. It runs continuously until a restart is required.

I have several accounts in POP Peeper that use IMAP.
Only one of them (for AOL.com) had Idle/Push checked on. It is now unchecked.

I will let you know what develops.

Thanks,
Terry
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Have you had any further crashes since disabling IDLE?

I assume you have not had any further issues, but either way, email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll move on to the next step.
temuskoff

Post by temuskoff »

I had one (out of many) accounts that had the Idle/Push turned on.
I turned the Idle/Push off.
There have been no more crashes since then (almost 2 weeks.)
Thanks for your help!
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

To piggyback on this thread with the same issue, I've turned Idle/Push off on a few accounts where it was still checked, and I'm still getting crashes once or twice a day. There's no particular pattern, i.e. it's not every 16 hours!

One thing I noted is that after a while, it starts taking a minute or more for PP to actually log into Gmail accounts (based on what the message in PP's status bar reports) some time (Hours or minutes? Unsure...) before PP crashes again.

In my case, the crashes can be accompanied by the pop-up error message or quietly.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

temuskoff -- email me and I'll send you the version that should fix this. I'll probably be releasing this to the beta channel this week if you have Pro and want to wait (PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Troubleshooting; enable "opt into early release / beta updates (requires pro)".

CenturyBreak -- That issue sounds related to the IDLE issue. What's happening is that PP is sending an idle request when it shouldn't and this is causing a timeout. I've never personally seen a crash from this, but it's apparently a possibility. What version are you using (under Help / About)? I thought I had sent you the .6 update...
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Jeff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:39 pm CenturyBreak -- That issue sounds related to the IDLE issue. What's happening is that PP is sending an idle request when it shouldn't and this is causing a timeout. I've never personally seen a crash from this, but it's apparently a possibility. What version are you using (under Help / About)? I thought I had sent you the .6 update...
Hi Jeff.

My apologies, as since my issue(s) with Avast cleared up, I didn't install the x.6 update, and I'm still at 5.4.5...

I'll presume you're suggesting I should, so I'll do that, as well as triple-checking that Idle/Push is indeed off for all accounts. I'll update this thread with the results.

Thanks!

Edit: turns out that a couple of hotmail/live accounts still had Idle/Push enabled! I'm pretty sure I disabled for all accounts, but what I suspect happened was that with one of the PP crashes, it hadn't saved the change and reverted to it being enabled when I restarted it...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that's good news as far as I'm concerned because it suggests the cause and the fix are still viable.

I would recommend installing v5.4.6 and re-enabling IDLE for your IMAP accounts.

And I think I'm going to go ahead and push v5.4.6 to the beta channel now; so it should be available within about 15 minutes of the publication of this post (barring some unforeseen incident).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

v5.4.6 is now available. Here's how to get it -- this requires a PRO license:

1) main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Troubleshooting

2) Enable "opt into early release / beta updates (requires pro)" and press OK

3) To force PP to check immediately, go to Help / About and press the "Check Version" button
mjs

Post by mjs »

For the record (in my case) - (w/ IDLE/Push enabled entire time) after multiple crashes pre-v.6 the previous (April) month it has now been crash free for over 3 weeks of testing (since 4-26) post-v.6 update.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Jeff wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:42 pm Ok, that's good news as far as I'm concerned because it suggests the cause and the fix are still viable.

I would recommend installing v5.4.6 and re-enabling IDLE for your IMAP accounts.

And I think I'm going to go ahead and push v5.4.6 to the beta channel now; so it should be available within about 15 minutes of the publication of this post (barring some unforeseen incident).
Thanks Jeff, and mjs. :D

So far, so good... no crashes in ~ 24 hours... of course, I've probably jinxed it! :lol:

I've yet to re-enable Idle/Push for the IMAP accounts, but I'll do that now... one question: what are the benefits of having it enabled?

Thanks again!
mjs

Post by mjs »

The test of course is when you enable IDLE/Push (the assumption, as I understand it, is that the IDLE/Push has recently been in some manner contributing to random crashes - of which Jeff has addressed via the v.6 update).

The major benefit of using IDLE/Push (assuming this function is supported by the email service used) is that you will get your messages (quickly - essentially as soon as they are available). More precisely, using IDLE/Push, messages will get "pushed" to your Inbox as of the time when messages reach the Email Service accounts Server as opposed to not using IDLE/Push where messages do not reach the Inbox until they get retrieved from the Server as a result of a POP Peeper Mail Check occurring (done either manually or scheduled).

Here's an example: if you have POP Peeper's Mail Check Polling Interval set for every 12 minutes (as I do) the difference would be the following:
1) Using IDLE/Push - the message will reach the POP Peeper Inbox as of the time the message reaches the Server (no delay - no need for a Mail Check).
2) Not using IDLE/Push - there could potentially be as much as a 12 minute delay (in this example) before a message populates the Inbox depending on how much time transpires between when the message is available on the Server and when the Polling Interval occurs for the Mail Check. Likewise in regards to the two examples above when deleting messages - that is, messages will get deleted either as of the time a delete function is performed or when the next Mail Check occurs, respectively.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

mjs wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:13 am The major benefit of using IDLE/Push (assuming this function is supported by the email service used) is that you will get your messages (quickly - essentially as soon as they are available). More precisely, using IDLE/Push, messages will get "pushed" to your Inbox as of the time when messages reach the Email Service accounts Server as opposed to not using IDLE/Push where messages do not reach the Inbox until they get retrieved from the Server as a result of a POP Peeper Mail Check occurring (done either manually or scheduled).
Thanks mjs.

I'm familiar with Push, but I didn't make the connection when I read "Idle/Push"! The drawbacks of having used the same brain for 6.5 decades, methinks... :lol:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Another advantage of idle is that, because PP remains connected to the server, other actions are more efficient and other actions can be done immediately. e.g. it's noticeably faster if you need to retrieve a message on-demand; marking a message as read on the server is done immediately, etc.