Possible with several RSS feeds in one single RSS "account"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
wowtip

Possible with several RSS feeds in one single RSS "account"

Post by wowtip »

Hi,

Just started trying out having my RSS feeds in Poppeeper as well.

But, is there a way to add several feeds into a single RSS "account"?

Having 10+ RSS feeds, adding them one by one would clutter up the account list a bit. And it would be nice to be able to hide all RSS and only show email by checking/unchecking a single account checkbox.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Possible with several RSS feeds in one single RSS "account"

Post by Jeff »

In fact, you can -- just separate the URLs with a space.

... #-o

The fact that you mentioned 10 feeds made me wonder if there's some kind of limitation to the number of characters, since that field was only intended to hold a single server... and there is. Things go bad if you enter a server of longer than about 250 characters (probably 255, but I'd say 250 is safer). So my advice -- put all your space-separated URLs into a text editor that can show you the number of characters (e.g. notepad++ shows selected count) and make sure it's not more than 250. Since the average URL is longer than 25 characters, you'll likely exceed this limitation so you'll need to split it up into another account.

I'll look into this in the meantime, but I don't have plans to release an update just for this. I'd be willing to send you a quick fix, but the "quick" depends where the issue is (ie. if it's in rss.dll, that's probably quick; but if it's a database issue, then it's not [and I suspect it is]).
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Hi Jeff, thanks for quick reply! 8)

Yes, 10 feeds was a bit more than 250 chars, so I just played it safe and added a small selection of more "important" feeds for now. It seems to work great so far. So no need to rush anything, just for me. (seems like a not very much requested feature? :D)

But maybe keep it as feature request for future versions? It seems to work very well, and if it was possible to extend the char limit for the text field, I can see Pop Peeper being a great catch all solution for both email and feeds!

Best regards,
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To be honest, until you had specifically asked that, I had completely forgotten that it was possible, and I still had to look in the code to make sure it was possible and the correct format. In hindsight, I'm not even sure why I added that in the first place. The good news is, now that it's been brought up after some 15 years, this feature has made it into the documentation ;)

And I'm relieved to hear that it's no rush. I'm actually fixing it now, but it will have to wait until v6.0 because the current data structure was too rigid to support longer strings. Fortunately, I've devised a way to keep it backward compatible (so if you upgrade to v6 but then decide to go back to v5, it shouldn't lose any data), but since it's a significant change to an important data structure, I'd prefer it to have a longer testing period.

And speaking of v6 -- it will have a better way to organize accounts, so maybe your reason to compact various RSS feeds won't be as necessary. One of these days, I'll get around to announcing the v6 features. Perhaps you can squeeze another RSS feed into your accounts so you don't miss it :mrgreen:
https://www.esumsoft.com/feed
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Perhaps you can squeeze another RSS feed into your accounts so you don't miss it :mrgreen:
https://www.esumsoft.com/feed
I actually noticed a couple of my 10+ feeds had not published anything for over a year, so I removed them, and now instead added Pop Peeper feed. Thanks! :)

Not sure how much RSS is used in general anymore, but for me it is still a major way of keeping up to date with things. Having it in "always on" Pop Peeper would be a big improvement over using a different app where you need to remember to check, or to schedule it to start now and then.

Is it OK to post "bug reports" here? If so I found an issue that is not really a bug, maybe more unexpected use case:
'When trying to whitelist address/domain for RSS sender (to not have to manually load HTML for each post) it fails because No Valid Email'

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This will be addressed in v5.4.7 -- for the sake of Smart HTML, messages from an RSS feed will be considered whitelisted. I think that, for now, you'll still be able to (attempt to) whitelist it, as sometimes it's better to at least provide feedback rather than disable it and left wondering why it can't be used. But I'll probably let that simmer in the back of my mind.

Thanks for mentioning this; it's something I've noticed, too, but never got around to addressing.