Some issues

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
maupassant2

Some issues

Post by maupassant2 »

So, I had some issues with Oauth2 for MSN and Hotmail, fixed by switching to "password".

However, my Hotmail messages are gone.
When I start Pop Peeper, it tries to retrieve my 4096 Hotmail messages.
But Pop Peeper closes unexpectedly after just a few messages. The few messages I got, I lose again.
So I changed a setting in Options - Message Retrieval. I unchecked the "Don't retrieve bodies for messages marked as read on server".
Now Pop Peeper retrieves my 4096 Hotmail messages ... until I decide to shut down Pop Peeper. When I start Pop Peeper again, all Hotmail messages are gone and it starts to retrieve all of them again. Running in circles.

One of my Yahoo accounts is also not acting properly. It says on the left that I have 3981 messages unread in this account. But on the right, all Yahoo messages are marked as read. Pop Peeper also keeps trying to retrieve more old Yahoo messages. After a fairly long time, I get a "Timed Out" error message and I'm still at 3981 messages unread according to the left column but all read according to the right column.

Am I making any sense and how do I fix this mess ?
Thanks !

Log for Yahoo error :

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.4.6.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.20
IMAP: 5.4.6.0
SendMail: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Trusted Sites: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.4.6.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Ini file: C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data folder: C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- Timed Out
mjs

Re: Some issues

Post by mjs »

What if anything have you changed (i.e. security software updates, settings changes etc.) on your computer as of the time when these issues started?

What PP settings have you changed other than what you previously mentioned in your last post (above)?

Please post your "Ini location" and "Data path" values that you find on your PP "storage" settings page (to get there from the main menu go to: Tools/Options/Storage).

Please provide more precise details as to what you mean by (that is, what is it that you do and/or what exactly occurs):
1) "...Pop Peeper closes unexpectedly..." (what is it exactly, that occurs in regards to when PP "closes")
2) "...until I decide to shut down Pop Peeper" (do you mean "exiting" PP, or "stopping" Mail Check or....)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
maupassant2

Post by maupassant2 »

C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper

What I did that may have screwed things up is to use a Macrium Reflect backup from the day before, trying to fix the Oauth2 problem with my Hotmail and MSN accounts. So I overwrote everything related to Pop Peeper in C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming.

PP exits without any warning when it tries to retrieve all Hotmail messages and the box "Don't retrieve bodies for messages marked as read on server" is checked. In other words, I start PopPeeper. After a few seconds, it tries to fetch all the Hotmail messages. After another few seconds, PP exits. Unusable.
maupassant2

Post by maupassant2 »

BTW, I have 15 email accounts in PP and everything's fine for 13 of them. :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's possible that the database file for those 2 accounts are corrupt. Here's what I suggest you try:

1) Enable "Advanced options" under main menu: Tools / Options / General

2) Right-click on the Account (in the Accounts List) and select "remove messages from list"
-> do this for both affected accounts

3) This method should delete the file; but if the option is not available (disabled) or just to confirm that it did what's expected (which I recommend):
a) main menu: Tools / Options / Storage
b) double-click the text "Data path" (this will open File Explorer to the appropriate location)
c) In File Explorer, go into the subfolder of one of the accounts
d) Make sure that "data.db" is not listed
e) If the file *is* there, delete it (if you cannot, exit POP Peeper, delete the files, restart POP Peeper)

4) Perform a checkmail and confirm if the problem is resolved
maupassant2

Post by maupassant2 »

Hotmail fixed. =D>

Yahoo : no change. And if I tick (check) the box "Don't retrieve bodies for messages marked as read on server", PP exits by itself after a few seconds, without any warning.
maupassant2

Post by maupassant2 »

Yahoo fixed. =D>

It just took a little longer. :)

Thank you very much for your help. 8)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear that worked, eventually. Still a little strange, though, so if you have another similar problem, please contact me via email directly (support at esumsoft dot com).