OAuth2 Authentication error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
HCsns

OAuth2 Authentication error

Post by HCsns »

Hi,
I'm using POP Peeper v. 4.5.3 on windows 8.1, I'm trying to request the OAuth2 Authentication for one Google account but this return an error. (see the screenshot attached)
I think that the error is because I have a too old version of internet explorer (v 11.0.96).
Anyway, IE is not my default browser... but is used by POP Peeper for the Authentication request.
How can I solve this problem?
Any clue?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
mjs

Re: OAuth2 Authentication error

Post by mjs »

It's not the IE version that's the problem but on that subject (not that this would necessarily matter specific to your Gmail Oauth2 issue) - can you please go to "Tools">"PPtweaker..." and select "Troubleshooting" and let us know what value you have for the "IE emulation when viewing HTML" setting (again, since this is more specific to viewing HTML - I'm doubtful this matters, however, in regards to your issue).

More specific to your issue - take a look at this topic to see if anything discussed might be of any help in your case: GMail OAuth2 issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

"IE emulation when viewing HTML" setting = Default (use installed IE)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

More succinctly, see this announcement:
https://www.esumsoft.com/news/notice-gm ... peeper-v4/
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Thank you Jeff,

switched to "app password" successfully.
jj14

Post by jj14 »

I'm having the same problem about OAuth2 Authentication error, but on Windows 7 and Pop Peeper 5.4.6.

I've read the announcement.
https://www.esumsoft.com/news/notice-gm ... peeper-v4/
"if you are using Windows 7 (for example), using the app password is recommended; however, Gmail does require you to enable 2-Factor Authentication to use app passwords."
So that means I would need to enable 2-factor authentication in Gmail and then tap(everyday?) on notification on my phone in order to Pop Peeper retrieve emails?
Sorry, I think this is not a practical solution.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

No, that's not how that works. Once you enable 2FA on your account and then create an app-password for POP Peeper to use, that password will behave just like a normal password; ie. you don't have to 2FA everytime to check mail on POP Peeper.

Also, while it's only alluded to in that article, if you run POP Peeper with elevated privileges (admin), then that would allow the Oauth2 method to work on win7. Running as admin is only necessary when you need to authenticate Oauth2 with your webbrowser.