Help! Auth2 error on send e-mail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Steven0

Help! Auth2 error on send e-mail

Post by Steven0 »

Hi. I set up a new Gmail account and when I check mail I get an Auth2 error. Can you help me?

Thanks.
Steven0

Re: Help! Auth2 error on send e-mail

Post by Steven0 »

PS when I try to re-authorize (renew) Auth2 from the new Google account window it opens up a window in my other Google account before asking me if I want to delete Auth2 and re-authorize. Then when I do a mail check I get the Auth2 error again. I am using the latest release of Pop Peeper Pro.

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

1) Please paste the exact error that POP Peeper reports in the error window.

2) Is the error occurring only when you send mail or also when retrieving mail (your original post is a little ambiguous; although my first question is meant to clarify this, too)?

3) Can you clarify this:
"when I try to re-authorize (renew) Auth2 from the new Google account window it opens up a window in my other Google account before asking me if I want to delete Auth2 and re-authorize."

Based on that you said, "when I try to re-authorize (renew) Auth2 from the new Google account window" -- I assume this means that you're editing the account and then re-selecting "Oauth2" which you would be expected to get the prompt to delete the existing credentials (as opposed to resetting Oauth2 from the error window)? But in either case, I'm not sure what the "window in your other Google account" you're referring to is?
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

1. The exact error message is: "(consecutive errors: 5)
Login Error (OAuth2) ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)"

2. This error is happening when I do a "Mail Check", or is it "Check Mail" from the main page menu.

3) Can you clarify this:
"when I try to re-authorize (renew) Auth2 from the new Google account window it opens up a window in my other Google account before asking me if I want to delete Auth2 and re-authorize."

Based on that you said, "when I try to re-authorize (renew) Auth2 from the new Google account window" -- I assume this means that you're editing the account and then re-selecting "Oauth2" which you would be expected to get the prompt to delete the existing credentials (as opposed to resetting Oauth2 from the error window)? But in either case, I'm not sure what the "window in your other Google account" you're referring to is?

3. When I reset the Auth2, PP opens a new browser window. That is no longer an issue, or the reason for the problem. Chrome asks me what account I want to use, and I select this new account. Then, a message says to close the window and return to PP.

After finishing that, I do a mail check and the above error comes up. Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

When you return to POP Peeper, do you get an "authentication successful" window?

What version of Windows are you using (7/8/10/11/etc)?

[edit] One other question while I think about it. If you go to this page:
https://security.google.com/settings/se ... ermissions
and make sure you're signed in with the problematic account
do you see POP Peeper in the list?

> Chrome asks me what account I want to use, and I select this new account.

This seems somewhat of a red flag, but there may be a reason for it, so I just want to make sure. If you've ever logged into the account with your browser (Chrome), then typically you shouldn't be asked to select the account. But if you delete cookies or are more security-minded than the average user, then that might explain the difference.
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

When you return to POP Peeper, do you get an "authentication successful" window?

A. Yes, always.

What version of Windows are you using (7/8/10/11/etc)?

A. Windows 10

[edit] One other question while I think about it. If you go to this page:
https://security.google.com/settings/se ... ermissions
and make sure you're signed in with the problematic account
do you see POP Peeper in the list?

A. I see POP Peeper in the list in both Google accounts. There's really something about the IMAP transaction that doesn't taste good to the server. I think it must be something in the POP Peeper account settings, in the way I set it up.

Thanks.
Steven
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

P.S. I looked in the new Gmail and there was an e-mail saying "POP Peeper was granted access to your Google Account". Two of them, actually, but I've changed the Auth2 many more times than that. Maybe I fixed something, some part of the problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You can double-check that both "email address" and "login name" are correct, they're the same, and they contain the full email address. Other than that, there's not much else that could be setup incorrectly.

Email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll get logs. This probably won't tell us much but I can at least check that things are going as expected as far as PP is concerned. Please refer to this forum post in your email.

Also, to get you going, you aren't required to use Oauth2; you can use an app password:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

Hi Jeff,

I looked at the account setup again and there was a typo in the Gmail account name. It's working fine now. Problem solved. Thanks for the help!

Steven
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that explains it -- glad to hear it's working!