One of my 2 Hotmail accounts not collecting emails

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
fbagnato

One of my 2 Hotmail accounts not collecting emails

Post by fbagnato »

On one of my computers Poppeeper is not collecting emails from one of my 2 hotmail accounts.

The error is "Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data"

I have compared the account settings on another computer that has the same email account which is working and all the settings match.
mjs

Re: One of my 2 Hotmail accounts not collecting emails

Post by mjs »

This error will probably self-resolve at some point (i.e. likely a temporary error probably due to local server issues for that specific account).

How long has this error been occurring for this specific Hotmail account?

If this issue persists for more than perhaps at least an hour - you could try exiting and restarting POP Peeper (i.e. right-click on PP tray icon and select "Exit" , then restart PP).

Keep us posted.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello mjs,

Thanks for your reply.

It is still happening and is happening on all 3 PCs with the same hotmail account.

I have checked that Poppeeper and all the modules are up to date.

I don't know when it started as the hotmail account is my partner's account and she doesn't use Poppeeper even though it is installed whereas I use it when I use her computers.

It has definitely not been working for 24 hours at least.

Outlook is working fine.

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm still of the opinion that this issue will eventually self-resolve, however that said - let's check on a few things.

So then I'm assuming that you've tried exiting and restarting POP Peeper? (you might consider rebooting your entire computer as well perhaps).

Absent any help as result of the above:

Because you've said that other "Hotmail" accounts are fine, that is you have just one "Hotmail" account that has this issue; do the following below.

Try going to Tools/Options/General (from the PP main menu) to make sure that the "Advanced options" is checked (enabled) in the upper-right corner area of the Interface (this option is needed to be enabled in order to do the next few account "edit" steps in the paragraph below).

Edit the offending (problematic) account and select the "Advanced" option to determine if the "Retrieval option" setting for this account (that has the issue) is the same setting as the other two accounts that do not have the issue (make sure the values for all 3 are identical for the "Retrieval option" setting). If there is a difference, make sure the offending accounts settings for this option are the same as the two accounts that do not have this issue.

Also when doing a "right-click" on the offending (problematic) account - see if the "Disconnect" option (3rd from the top of the "right-click" context-menu) is accessible (that is not grayed out) - if it is accessible then click on that (Disconnect) option (to perform a "Disconnect" ), then do a "Mail Check" to see if this might be of any help.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

I would add one more thing in the event this issue remains persistent at this point - it would probably be a good idea to get an Error Report from you.

If you are not familiar with how to do this please refer to this topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post and follow the steps as described in the topic - most importantly be sure to please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable info that may be included in the Error Report that you post in this topic.
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello again mjs,

> Edit the offending (problematic) account and select the "Advanced" option to determine if the "Retrieval option" setting for this account
> (that has the issue) is the same setting as the other two accounts that do not have the issue (make sure the values for all 3 are identical
> for the "Retrieval option" setting). If there is a difference, make sure the offending accounts settings for this option are the same as the
> two accounts that do not have this issue.

I assume that by "Retrieval option" is the options category "Message Retrieval". If so the settings values in the problematic account are the same as her other 2 email accounts (one being a Hotmail account and the other a Gmail account). (I don't if this is true and it is irrelevant but isn't selecting the options giving global options, not specific to the email account being selected before displaying the options window?)

> Also when doing a "right-click" on the offending (problematic) account - see if the "Disconnect" option (3rd from the top of the "right-click"
> context-menu) is accessible (that is not grayed out) - if it is accessible then click on that (Disconnect) option (to perform a "Disconnect" ),
> then do a "Mail Check" to see if this might be of any help.

If I do a right-click on an account I do not have the "Disconnect" option at all, I only have "Check mail", "Edit account...", "Delete account..." and "View messages: xxx".

Regards,

fbagnato
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

LOG AS FOLLOWS:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.4.6.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.23
IMAP: 5.4.6.0
SendMail: 5.4.6.0
Profile Picture: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Trusted Sites: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.4.6.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Ini file: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data folder: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
Hotmail - xxxxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['outlook.office365.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.office365.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 4]
- Error (Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data)
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

I don't know whether the pasted log will help but let me know if there is another more detailed log I can provide.

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

Sorry for the confusion (apparently I should have done a better job at explaining the steps to take).
So let's start out here to try and add more clarity.
You're reply included:
fbagnato wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 pm > Edit the offending (problematic) account and select the "Advanced" option to determine if the "Retrieval option" setting for this account
> (that has the issue) is the same setting as the other two accounts that do not have the issue (make sure the values for all 3 are identical
> for the "Retrieval option" setting). If there is a difference, make sure the offending accounts settings for this option are the same as the
> two accounts that do not have this issue.

I assume that by "Retrieval option" is the options category "Message Retrieval". If so the settings values in the problematic account are the same as her other 2 email accounts (one being a Hotmail account and the other a Gmail account). (I don't if this is true and it is irrelevant but isn't selecting the options giving global options, not specific to the email account being selected before displaying the options window?)
It would appear you're not "Editing" each account and your not selecting the "Advanced" option (when "Editing" each account) in order to compare the "Retrieval option" settings for each individual account (those working as compared to the one that doesn't).

But instead you're apparently going to Tools/Options (from the main PP menu) to look at "Message Retrieval" which is not what I requested. So no the "Retrieval option" I'm speaking of is in the "Advanced" page of each account that you "Edit" and not the "options" category 'Message Retrieval' of the "Tools" main menu that you mentioned above. (of course the "Advanced" option would not be present in this case because you have apparently also not enabled the "Advanced option" (that I mentioned you need to make sure is enabled) - which will become more clear as you read in more detail further below.

Here's what I originally posted (I've added emphasis as to where it appears there may have been some confusion):
mjs wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 am Because you've said that other "Hotmail" accounts are fine, that is you have just one "Hotmail" account that has this issue; do the following below.

Try going to Tools/Options/General (from the PP main menu) to make sure that the "Advanced options" is checked (enabled) in the upper-right corner area of the Interface (this "Advanced" option needs to be enabled in order to do the next few account "edit" steps in the paragraph below).

Edit the offending (problematic) account and select the "Advanced" option to determine if the "Retrieval option" setting for this account (that has the issue) is the same setting as the other two accounts that do not have the issue (make sure the values for all 3 are identical for the "Retrieval option" setting). If there is a difference, make sure the offending accounts settings for this option are the same as the two accounts that do not have this issue.

Also when doing a "right-click" on the offending (problematic) account - see if the "Disconnect" option (3rd from the top of the "right-click" context-menu) is accessible (that is not grayed out) - if it is accessible then click on that (Disconnect) option (to perform a "Disconnect" ), then do a "Mail Check" to see if this might be of any help.
(Again, please note that I've placed more emphasis on what you apparently overlooked).
Also here's a screen-shot (that I've added) to offer more detail regarding the enabling of the "Advanced" option:
Make sure the "Advanced option" is enabled by way of checking the box.
Make sure the "Advanced option" is enabled by way of checking the box.
Taking a look at what you mentioned below where you do not have a "Disconnect" option tells me you would also not have the "Advanced" option present in your Accounts "Edit" Interface. Once you have enable "Advanced options" all of this will become more apparent (as you will see many additional options at your disposal, including not only the "Disconnect" option but the "Advanced option" as well).
fbagnato wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 pm > Also when doing a "right-click" on the offending (problematic) account - see if the "Disconnect" option (3rd from the top of the "right-click"
> context-menu) is accessible (that is not grayed out) - if it is accessible then click on that (Disconnect) option (to perform a "Disconnect" ),
> then do a "Mail Check" to see if this might be of any help.

If I do a right-click on an account I do not have the "Disconnect" option at all, I only have "Check mail", "Edit account...", "Delete account..." and "View messages: xxx".
So to repeat once again, as of when the "Advanced option" is "enabled" (where I requested you go to enable it) then what I've previously mentioned will become more transparent as well as the "Disconnect" option will get displayed (along with a lot of other options that were formerly not present) that would also include the "Advanced" option as well, when editing each of your accounts in order to compare the "Retrieval option" settings present for each specific account.

To answer your question regarding the setting you were looking at - yes, the "Message Retrieval" option (that is btw, not the same as the "Retrieval option" I referenced) your were looking at is more global in nature - however that is not the case for the "Retrieval option" I was speaking of that is accessed by way of editing each of the individual accounts (thus are account specific settings) and is why I wanted to have you compare to see if these settings were the same for both the problematic account as well as accounts that do not have issues (just in case the problematic account setup might be different than the others).

Hopefully I've done a better job this time around as far as explaining what to do - you may need to review my original post (above) in combination with the comments in this post to further clarify what it is exactly that I've requested you check out. :wink:
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello mjs,

Thanks for the clarification however the suspect Hotmail account is now working.

Nothing at my end was changed but it is collecting the emails like the other 2 accounts.

I've checked 2 of the 3 computers with that account and both are working.

I will be checking the 3rd computer in the next couple of hours.

I will continue with your steps if the 3rd computer still has a problem but you were probably right that it was a temporary server problem.

I will update the status once I check the 3rd computer.

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

Good to hear! (the issue has self-resolved) =D>

I figured the issue would ultimately clear-up (self-resolve) given enough time (in as much as this error is in general an Email Provider issue specific to the Providers "Server") and not generally an issue specific to POP Peeper.

This specific error will occasionally occur (some kind of Email Provider "Server" issue specific to the Email Account in PP that results in a "Server disconnect" while in the process of transmitting data) but not usually remain persistent for as long as it did in this case.

I'm frankly skeptical that anything I was requesting you to check out (now that the issue has self-resolved, which supports the conclusion the issue was "Server" related) would have made any difference - and the fact that the issue self-resolved supports this conclusion in as much as the account is as of now working with the current settings for Pop Peeper in place (and unchanged) just as it was prior to and during the period of time the issue was occurring (i.e. if a PP setting was the cause of the issue, which I frankly doubt is ever the case, then the issue would presumably not self-resolve absent any changes made to PP).

I could be wrong, but it is my impression that this specific "Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data" (Server) error has more currently become increasingly prevalent in regards to MS (Microsoft) Email Service accounts (that would include "Hotmail" domains among others) than has been the situation in the past. (one thing is for certain, I've personally had a whole lot more "authentication" issues occur more recently with MS accounts that include the extremely annoying plethora of "code" verifications [over 30X's today so far and counting], but I digress as this is not the issue at hand)

Bottom line: I generally wait it out in the case of these specific (unexpected disconnect) "Server" errors (which as you can see in this case, can take quit some time to eventually get resolved by the Email Service Provider).

Happy Holidays!
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello again mjs,

I understand what I was doing wrong now, I wasn't clicking OK once I ticked "Advanced options".

Now I have done that and checked all three accounts.

In "Edit account..." the sections "Advanced" (Retrieval options) and even "Advanced 2" all three accounts are identical.

The "Disconnect" option in the Context menu against the problematic Hotmail account is greyed out.

Two computers are collecting mail from the problematic Hotmail account however the 3rd computer is still getting the same error.

If I check the account from all 3 computers sequentially (not much time difference between the collections) two work and the third doesn't.

Don't understand why.......

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you tried rebooting that 3rd problematic computer?
fbagnato wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:48 pm I understand what I was doing wrong now, I wasn't clicking OK once I ticked "Advanced options".
Yea - looking back I neglected to mention to click the "OK" button (to update the change) after enabling the option via a check mark.
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Yes I have rebooted it several times.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If the Error Report you reported HERE in this topic was not from this 3rd (problematic) computer - then please once again post the Error Report in this topic for this (3rd) computer (this provides us w/ additional PP settings info among other things).

Also please do a right-click on the account with the issue and select "Server info..." (btw, this is one of many options now available to you in the context menu as a result of enabling the "Advanced options" previously discussed). Then copy (select/right-click/copy) everything (within that "Server info" window) below your email address (do not post that, email address part in the forum for privacy reasons) and paste (right-click/paste) the information into this topic.

(btw, as of later today or early tomorrow - just so you know, I might not be that available for a few days until after Christmas)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just to offer an additional back-drop to this issue:

I just got the same exact error for one of my many MS (Microsoft) accounts:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.5.0.9008
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.23
IMAP: 5.5.0.0
RSS: 5.4.5.0
SendMail: 5.5.0.0
Chime: 5.0.0.1001
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 5.2.0.0
Notification Voice: 5.4.5.0
Profile Picture: 5.5.0.0
AntiJunk: 5.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 5.5.0.0
Trusted Sites: 5.5.0.0
PPTweaker: 5.5.0.0
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.4.5.0
PPbackup: 5.4.5.0
PPextras: 5.4.5.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Ini file: C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.inx
Data folder: C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
XXXXXXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Error (Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data)

And while I do get these errors (especially in the case of MS) as is almost always the case - the error cleared on the very next "Mail Check" (i.e. within a few minutes of when the error occurred).

As I mentioned - it appears to me that MS accounts have a greater tendency to produce this specific error - but as I mentioned as well, this error is virtually always "temporary" (i.e. is expected to self-resolve very quickly for the most part).

So with that said, I suspect at some point this 3rd computer will self-resolve as well. I will say, it is admittedly odd how persistent this error has been in your case (but it all comes down to the location of the "Server" used by the account at the time). And while an "Outlook.com Server Status" Check does not currently report any significant outage issues - this does not necessarily mean that a "Server" that your account might currently be using couldn't in-and-of-itself be having (potentially significant and in some cases prolonged) issues.
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello mjs,

What I did was leave the computer on overnight so that Poppeeper would keep attempting to collect emails.

The 3rd computer is now working and collecting emails.

Looks like it is resolved, either temporarily or permanently.

A bit more background to the problem.

As I said earlier I don't know when the problem started as the 3 computers are under my partner's login and she never uses Poppeeper, albeit from advice I have given to her to use Poppeeper.

I had done a sweep of our computers to update the programs on them and Poppeeper on the 3 computers in question had a later SSL module available, so I downloaded it.

Once the latest SSL was installed I noticed that the problem was there.

I don't know if the problem had started once SSL was updated but what I did was delete all 3 of her accounts and re-added them on the 3 computers.

2 of the accounts were downloading fine but the 3rd account (the one we are discussing) would not download.

That 3rd account is her main account and has thousands of emails in her inbox so the first collection would download thousands of emails.

I don't know if the large volume of emails to collect was causing the problem or if that was irrelevant to the error.

So as mentioned earlier the other 2 computers were now working which left the 3rd computer (which is actually connected to our main TV).

Last night I stayed up late to work on some things and thought I would leave the 3rd computer on all night and see if it would trigger at least one successful collection, downloading the initial large volumes of emails in that account.

I just checked it then and it has collected all the inbox emails (i think around 9000) and hasn't had an error since.

Weird problem....don't know if it has to do with the 1st connection, latest SSL, Hotmail server problem, etc.

Happy Holidays to you and your family mjs!!!!

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

fbagnato wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:10 pm I don't know if the problem had started once SSL was updated but what I did was delete all 3 of her accounts and re-added them on the 3 computers.

2 of the accounts were downloading fine but the 3rd account (the one we are discussing) would not download.

That 3rd account is her main account and has thousands of emails in her inbox so the first collection would download thousands of emails.

I don't know if the large volume of emails to collect was causing the problem or if that was irrelevant to the error.

So as mentioned earlier the other 2 computers were now working which left the 3rd computer (which is actually connected to our main TV).

Last night I stayed up late to work on some things and thought I would leave the 3rd computer on all night and see if it would trigger at least one successful collection, downloading the initial large volumes of emails in that account.

I just checked it then and it has collected all the inbox emails (i think around 9000) and hasn't had an error since.
Good to hear all 3 accounts are humming-along now and I have to say as well that this "bit more background to the problem" you've provided is illuminating actually.

I've highlighted (above) in red the salient points.

With the 3rd problematic account having "around 9000" messages (which is to be clear a lot of messages for any one individual account) and the fact that you had deleted the account from POP Peeper and then added the account back again; means that POP Peeper has to then repopulate, "from scratch" so to speak, that accounts Inbox with a relatively large number of messages. That's a total of a lot of messages for an account to reload thus takes a considerable amount of time to accomplish (to be clear, once this is accomplished it is then not necessary to reload all of them again, so the greater time it takes only applies up to when all of these older messages get repopulated back into the ["new"] account in PP, once this has been accomplished it's not any problem retrieving just the "new" messages from then-on-out for that same account).

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what are the most messages I have for any one individual account and (while I've got a total of over 36K messages for all of my accounts in POP Peeper) I've found that the highest number of messages that I've currently got in any one individual account is a total 4595 messages (very close to half the number of messages that the problem account has that's been having the persistent issues discussed in this topic). Therefore, of course due to the need to load all of these (~9000) messages into the newly added POP Peeper account raises the possibility of the types of error you were previously getting (i.e. an "Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data" error for example).

So leaving POP Peeper to continue to do "Mail Checks" over time to allow the account to keep making attempts to get all of those messages loaded into PP was a good idea. =D>

Btw, (while it's not absolutely necessary) you might consider either archiving (older messages) or minimally moving some messages out of the (3rd) accounts Inbox to another folder in order to keep that Inbox number of messages down a bit. :wink: (what I do personally is to create, from time to time, a folder for past years as necessary to then move the respective Inbox messages per year out of the Inbox to the applicable "year" folder).
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

Hello mjs,

I don't know if you are a developer of Poppeeper but I am now having the same error with my Gmail account.

I really suspect that the version 1.1.1.23 of the SSL module has some problem with the 5.4.6.0 version of Poppeeper.

I never had this problem in the past and it has happened on different computers with different accounts.

Regards,

fbagnato
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you still having issues with Gmail? - If you are, please post the "Error Overview" information for us in regards to this new development.

As to the questions you have posited:
fbagnato wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:38 am I don't know if you are a developer of Poppeeper but I am now having the same error with my Gmail account.

I really suspect that the version 1.1.1.23 of the SSL module has some problem with the 5.4.6.0 version of Poppeeper.

I never had this problem in the past and it has happened on different computers with different accounts.
I am not the developer, that would be Jeff.

As to your suspicions that your issues may be related to new versions of POP Peeper, all I can say is the following:

I am currently using a beta version of POP Peeper built upon the same version 5.4.6.0 you're using and am using version 1.1.1.23 SSL as well.

With that said, I'm not having any persistent issues of any kind with any of my Email accounts that include in excess of 20+ MS (outlook.com, Hotmail.com etc) accounts and in excess of 20+ Gmail accounts not to mention numerous Yahoo accounts as well as many other types of accounts.

Not one of any of my Email accounts in POP Peeper are producing any errors over the past 48 hours that haven't self-cleared within my subsequent Scheduled 12 minute "Polling Interval" (of those errors that have occurred that quickly self-cleared, there have only been a couple of errors and not the specific "Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data" error you have been reporting).

We appreciate your concerns and feedback, however, it would appear (from my perspective at least) that there is not any indication the specific "Unexpectedly disconnected from server while sending data" error that you've been getting would have anything to do with any of the current POP Peeper version releases.

We sincerely thank you for your patience and will look forward to when you get back to us with the current "Error Overview" data posted in this topic (as you have indicated that the current Gmail error is the same that was previously occurring with your MS account).