Weather not updating

Aeris Calendar: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
crabboy

Weather not updating

Post by crabboy »

My Aeris Calendar has stopped updating the weather. What do I need to do?
mjs

Re: Weather not updating

Post by mjs »

I can confirm that Aeris Calendar weather has not been working (for me either) now for approximately 17 consecutive hours -- as of around 5PM yesterday (12/27/23) PST.

Restarting Aeris and/or rebooting the computer does not help unfortunately.

When checking on possible NWS outages, I have not found any recent indication that there have been any issues with the weather source (within the time-frame of this issue).

Assuming this result remains persistent, we may need to wait until Jeff can look into this soon after the New Years holiday. Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. :(
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Thank you for looking into it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For forecast weather, NWS was reporting the following:
"An error occurred.
The information you are requesting is unavailable until 01/01/2024 due to a known technical issue."

And, sure enough, forecasting did start working on Jan 01. But current weather seems to be stuck on Dec 27. I have checked several locations directly (ie. outside of Aeris) and this seems to be a widespread problem.

I have just emailed them to see if there's a known issue. I don't think I've ever emailed them before so I don't know when/if I will get a reply (though they do have an email address for reporting issues, so fingers crossed).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Update: I received a response from NOAA/NWS --

They are aware of the issue; several others have reported the same issue; and they'll send me any updates via email which I will pass on to you here.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:46 pm ... And, sure enough, forecasting did start working on Jan 01....
Just an FYI - It still hasn't appeared to be working for me at any time up till now:
Still same as it has been for a few days
Still same as it has been for a few days
I've exited/restarted Aeris Calendar well over an hour ago (after the comment posted above).

Hmm, I guess you're talking about the "daily" forecast displayed in the Calendar (not the Desklet, per say)... :-k (after all you did say "forecasting" started working as of 1-1-24 :idea:)

So presumably the Desklet - will start working as well, when everything flushes out at some point. 8)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just got an email that it should be resolved and it looks like Aeris updated at least 28 minutes ago for me.

And, yes, this was for *current* weather. Forecast/hourly had a separate issue that was resolved yesterday.
mjs

Post by mjs »

What do I need to do to get my Desklet to work? - at this time (post time) I've still got what I previously posted for the Desklet (tried once again exiting/starting Aeris).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What do the timestamp and time since last update on the lower-right of the main interface show?
mjs

Post by mjs »

timestamp and 'time since last update' data
timestamp and 'time since last update' data
time-stamp and time since.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Obvious problem here (8/20/23 3:50 PM and 3259h).
I've exited/restarted Aeris a number of times over the past days. (btw, the values here makes me wonder how Aeris has been providing temps for me at all in the Desklet or other wise (my issue, like anyone else, has been over just the past 5-6 days where Aeris has had issues as reported here in this topic)
Also my location setting is empty and if I navigate through the process to set a location, the location selected (entered) does not hold (if this matters) - ends up blank again as illustrated in the screen-shot. (Note: the "Location" [text] does display toward bottom of Desklet [as illustrated in my previous screen-shot posted earlier] - so I assumed no issue there all this time)
location process ends w-empty value.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

What I'm thinking as a contemplate the "location" setting is that this is expected to be blank as the prompt is to set a (new) different location, thus my location is set actually (I'll have to see if I can determine where this can be confirmed if possible however).

I say this because for one thing the setting "name" does change based on what I've entered in the "Location" settings - so it appears to be present based on what I observe the Desktlet is rendering on my desktop. Hence, I'm assuming actually no issues there - the blank value is just somewhat misleading (confusing) I'd say....
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

"Set Location" is expected to be empty when you open it.

Try using a different location (e.g. New York or Los Angeles) and see if weather works for that location. Assuming it does, try a location *near* you but not the same.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yea that's what I mentioned just above your post in regards to the "empty" Set Location (and I do see the changes referenced in the Desklet) - so then where can the "Location" be "confirmed" in Aeris (since it's not available in the "Location" settings procedure)?

Btw, I've got it set where I want it and had it before now (that had been no problem prior to the last 5-6 days of Aeris issues).
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm focusing on the "timestamp" and "time since last update" which has now changed to:
12/27/23 6:33 AM 75h

Still doesn't seem right to me - shouldn't it be reflecting current date/time data?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm for continuing our topic off-line via email - what do you say? - if anything develops that can be helpful to other Aeris users we can post such in the forum.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Everything is working right now. Knock on wood!