Poppeeper disabled after turning on PC from sleep

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ppuser

Poppeeper disabled after turning on PC from sleep

Post by ppuser »

I have PP on a laptop and i have noticed this behavior: i shut the lid, which puts the laptop in sleep mode. After a while i open the lid, login and see the PP icon in the taskbar as closed (disabled). I'm not sure it happens 100% of the time but i have noticed it at least 4-5 times. The others, it's not that it's working properly, i just haven't noticed.
mjs

Re: Poppeeper disabled after turning on PC from sleep

Post by mjs »

ppuser wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:35 am ... After a while i open the lid, login and see the PP icon in the taskbar as closed (disabled)...
To clarify using your terms (w/ added clarification):
What you are saying is that after you "login" to Windows (after lifting the laptop lid) you then, quote "see the PP icon in the task bar as closed (disabled)" - meaning you see the PP tray icon as this
'Autocheck' for PP is disabled (off)
'Autocheck' for PP is disabled (off)
PIC-2 closed 'disabled'.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
when you expect to see the PP icon as this
'Autocheck' for PP is enabled (on)
'Autocheck' for PP is enabled (on)
PIC-1 open 'enabled'.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
or perhaps this
'Autocheck' for PP is enabled (on) - with "new" retrieved messages
'Autocheck' for PP is enabled (on) - with "new" retrieved messages
PIC-3 open 'enabled'.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
So to further clarify - what you're actually saying is that when you "login" to Windows you will find that PP will sometimes (not all the time) have "Autocheck" disabled (off) when you had not disable "Autocheck" yourself by either doing a right-click on the tray icon and unchecking "Autocheck" to disable the function there or perhaps clicked on the "green" ball in the far lower-right corner of the main PP Interface to turn the color to "red" which signifies that "Autocheck" is disabled (off).

To be more specific when this issue occurs - if you do a right-click on the PP tray icon you will observe this
'Autocheck' disabled (off)
'Autocheck' disabled (off)
PIC-4 autocheck disabled.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
instead of this
'Autocheck' enabled (on)
'Autocheck' enabled (on)
PIC-5 Autocheck enabled.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
as you had presumably last left this PP setting.

Is this what you observe? (have I explained more fully what you are saying? - and have you done a right-click on the PP tray icon to confirm that "Autocheck" is not checked (i.e. disabled) when this happens?)

If this is not what you're saying then please provide more details.

On more thing, can you please provide additional clarification as to what it is exactly that your saying specifically regarding this comment:
ppuser wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:35 am ... The others, it's not that it's working properly, i just haven't noticed.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hmm, or is what you are saying, when you open the laptop lid and login to Windows, is that you don't see the PP icon at all (i.e. the PP icon is missing from the [taskbar] tray) meaning that PP is not running and you have to start PP? (which would mean the PP process had stopped running for some reason while Windows was in "sleep" mode).

Question: please explain, what is it that you do to remedy the issue (when it occurs)?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am To clarify using your terms (w/ added clarification):
What you are saying is that after you "login" to Windows (after lifting the laptop lid) you then, quote "see the PP icon in the task bar as closed (disabled)" - meaning you see the PP tray icon as this PIC-2 closed 'disabled'.png when you expect to see the PP icon as this PIC-1 open 'enabled'.png or perhaps this PIC-3 open 'enabled'.png
Yes, that's right. The icon is shown as "closed".
mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am So to further clarify - what you're actually saying is that when you "login" to Windows you will find that PP will sometimes (not all the time) have "Autocheck" disabled (off) when you had not disable "Autocheck" yourself by either doing a right-click on the tray icon and unchecking "Autocheck" to disable the function there or perhaps clicked on the green ball in the far lower-right corner of the main PP Interface to turn the color to "red" which signifies that "Autocheck" is disabled (off).
When i open the lid, i'm asked to re-enter my credentials to unlock the session. I'll have to verify what happens though. I have noticed the icon to be wrong, but i think the Autocheck is checked, i'm not 100% sure though.
mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am
ppuser wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:35 am ... The others, it's not that it's working properly, i just haven't noticed.
I'm not sure it happens 100% of the time but i have noticed it at least 4-5 times. The others (not the 4-5 times i've noticed, the other times), it's not that it's working properly, i just haven't noticed what happens.
mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:21 pm Hmm, or is what you are saying, when you open the laptop lid and login to Windows, is that you don't see the PP icon at all (i.e. the PP icon is missing from the [taskbar] tray) meaning that PP is not running and you have to start PP? (which would mean the PP process had stopped running for some reason while Windows was in "sleep" mode).

Question: please explain, what is it that you do to remedy the issue (when it occurs)?
Well, i rightclick on the icon and click on "autocheck" and perform the same step again. So, the Autocheck gets disabled and re-enabled.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for the feedback and more detailed clarification.

In regards to what you've said here:
ppuser wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:50 pm
mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am
Well, i rightclick on the icon and click on "autocheck" and perform the same step again. So, the Autocheck gets disabled and re-enabled.
So it appears what you're saying is that the PP icon in the Windows (Taskbar) tray signifies that "AutoCheck" is disabled (off).

However, when you do a right-click on the PP tray icon you find the "AutoCheck" option checked, which would mean this function is enabled (on). And that faced with this situation (as you state above) you do a right-click on the PP tray icon to then click on the "AutoCheck" twice to remedy the situation (explained below in more detail).

This would mean that the PP icon first looks like this:
signifying that "AutoCheck" is disabled (off)
signifying that "AutoCheck" is disabled (off)
PIC-2 closed 'disabled'.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
but that when you do a right-click on the tray icon you will see this:
signifying that "AutoCheck is enabled (on)
PIC-5 Autocheck enabled.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
and to remedy this situation you will click on the "AutoCheck" option to uncheck (disable) "AutoCheck" and then click on the "AutoCheck" option again (a 2nd time) to check (enable) "AutoCheck" to get the tray Icon and the right-click "AutoCheck" designation in sync (i.e. that is to get the tray icon and the "AutoCheck" designations to correspond with each other).

So that after clicking on the tray icon right-click context menu "Auto Check" twice to designate the value disabled and then enabled again you will then have the tray icon that displays this:
PIC-1 open 'enabled'.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
(or perhaps the tray icon will display the blue envelope and waving flag in the event "new" mail has been retrieved).
At which time you will then have the tray right-click context menu displaying this:
PIC-5 Autocheck enabled.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
thus both the right-click menu option and tray icon have corresponding values (are in sync) with one another.

Is this what you're saying happens and is what you do to remedy the situation?
mjs

Post by mjs »

If what is precisely described in the previous post (above) what you are reporting to be the issue that's occurring.

When did this issue (scenario) start happening? (how long has this issue been going on?)

Have you tried a reboot of your computer? (if not please do so and try PP again to see if this same issue persists).

If after a reboot - you continue to have this problem, can you tell us if you've made any changes to your computer, such as updates or additions to your computer in regards to "Security" software that would correspond to the time this issue has been occurring?

Also please post what version of PP you are using (go to "Help"/"About POP Peeper..." from the main menu to get this - in the upper-left corner of the window).

And tell us what Windows Operating System you are using.
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

mjs wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:10 pmIs this what you're saying happens and is what you do to remedy the situation?
Yes, that's exactly what's going on.

I just faced the same thing. I waited for 1-2 minutes to see what would happen (if the mail accounts would be checked and the icon would change) but i got tired and decided to doubleclick the icon to open the main window and see the timers on my email accounts. As soon as the window was opened though, the icon reverted to its normal state.

I tried turning the lid off again and then on but it didn't happen this time. It seems that the computer must remain in sleep mode for some time (in order to enter deep sleep/hibernation perhaps). Perhaps it's a cosmetic bug - there is a large delay for the icon to be turned to normal. I'll try it again later but this time i'll leave PP untouched and send an email to me via my phone, just to see what happens (will PP autocheck and receive the email? will the icon turn to normal?)

PP is 5.4.6.
OS is Win10 22H2 fully updated.
The computer is rebooted daily, except on weekends where i just do what i described (close the lid).
This has been happening for quite some time now (perhaps more than 6 months, i can't remember).
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

OK, i checked it once more. It seems that it's just a cosmetic issue. The wrong icon is displayed but the Autocheck is actually enabled.

I just repeated the test and while the icon was closed as in previous attempts, as soon as PP received a new mail, the icon was just changed to "new mail" (so the Autocheck was performed normally). You have to leave the laptop for about 5 minutes with closed lid though, it may not work if you close the lid and when the fans stop, re-open it almost immediately.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you ppuser for your very helpful feedback.

So to reiterate, by "cosmetic" you mean, the PP tray icon is not getting displayed properly in as much as the tray icon indicates that "AutoCheck" is disabled but in reality is enabled, hence PP will "Check Mail" and when that occurs the tray icon at that point will then display accurately. And as you're indicting, this behavior appears to pertain to how long Windows was in "sleep" mode that soon occurs at some point subsequent to when the laptop lid has been closed.

Interesting situation... in my case I use "Lidlock" (3rd-party app) to initiate a log-off of my Windows (10 version 22H2 build 19045.3803) when I close my laptop lid, however I do not use Windows "Sleep" (or "Hibernate") mode at any time and do not have this same issue as you have presumably because of this.

Jeff will likely be interested in looking into this some time tomorrow.
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

mjs wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:23 am Thank you ppuser for your very helpful feedback.

So to reiterate, by "cosmetic" you mean, the PP tray icon is not getting displayed properly in as much as the tray icon indicates that "AutoCheck" is disabled but in reality is enabled, hence PP will "Check Mail" and when that occurs the tray icon at that point will then display accurately. And as you're indicting, this behavior appears to pertain to how long Windows was in "sleep" mode that soon occurs at some point subsequent to when the laptop lid has been closed.

Interesting situation... in my case I use "Lidlock" (3rd-party app) to initiate a log-off of my Windows (10 version 22H2 build 19045.3803) when I close my laptop lid, however I do not use Windows "Sleep" (or "Hibernate") mode at any time and do not have this same issue as you have presumably because of this.

Jeff will likely be interested in looking into this some time tomorrow.
Well, yes, that's pretty much the case. It seems that the time the laptop remains in sleep mode plays some role. I can't be sure but i suspect it may have something to do with how quickly the network connections are restored. I'm using an external network card (USBToEthernet) and the network connection is not restored instantaneously.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have a few more follow-up questions to help diagnose this:

1a) (this can be done now, before the problem occurs) Go to:
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Misc
Near the bottom (2nd to last) is an option: "Tray icon: hover tooltip includes time remaining..." -- enable this

1b) While still in PPtweaker, go to the "Troubleshooting" page; the first option is "do not process Power Broadcasts..." -- is yours currently enabled? If not, do NOT enable it; if it is enabled, disable it.

1c) Press OK to save/close PPtweaker

2) The next time you see the problem, I want you to do a couple things:

2a) Hover your mouse and note what the text on the bottom says (now that you've enabled 1a above), e.g. it may say that AutoCheck is disabled or it may say the minutes remaining until the next check -- let us know what it says.

2b) If it says "minutes remaining" -- wait until that time passes (the time remaining should reset back to your polling interval if there is nothing else obvious that changed) and see if the icon fixes itself
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 pm 1a) (this can be done now, before the problem occurs) Go to:
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Misc
Near the bottom (2nd to last) is an option: "Tray icon: hover tooltip includes time remaining..." -- enable this
Done.
Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 pm 1b) While still in PPtweaker, go to the "Troubleshooting" page; the first option is "do not process Power Broadcasts..." -- is yours currently enabled? If not, do NOT enable it; if it is enabled, disable it.
It was not checked. I left it unchecked.

I'll do what you said the next time i notice this issue.

P.S.: I restarted PP and i noticed that in the icon tooltip the 5" startup delay was mentioned but after those 5" passed, nothing. Perhaps this is due to the fact that i have about 20 accounts, each one with its own timer ("Use account timers" selected in options)...

P.S.2: Also, check the attached image, the options may play some role.
Attachments
PPOptions.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for including that screenshot, I suspected you may have disabled the "change icon when checking for mail" (reason below), but wouldn't have guessed "tray icon reflects unread instead of new" -- these could all be potential factors for your original issue, as you mentioned.

As for the reason you mentioned the "time remaining" status disappeared -- it does this when it's actively checking an account; this is more apparent with the animated icon checking for mail. After PP has finished checking any accounts, the tray icon status should display the time remaining again (to clarify: the tooltip won't auto-update if you just keep hovering the mouse, you need to move the mouse off to dismiss the tooltip and on again to re-display the tooltip).