Open a different email client for each email account via POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Mr_Orange

Open a different email client for each email account via POP Peeper

Post by Mr_Orange »

Is it possible to have a different email client for each email account?

i.e. when I open the email client via POP Peeper I'd like to double click on:
- Proton mail to open Thunderbird
- Gmail to open the Gmail website
- My work email to open Outlook

I've got a clunky workaround for this at the moment by making the default email client a html page with hyperlinks to all the different client options i need.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Open a different email client for each email account via POP Peeper

Post by Jeff »

You need to enable advanced options first:
- main menu: Tools / Options / General; enable "Advanced options" on the top-right; press OK

Edit each of your accounts and go to the "Advanced" page on the left and you'll be able to change its email client.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Thanks Jeff that's exactly what I was after!

I've been searching for something to replace my previous mail checker which was a minor part of another program that changed direction on development. This was the last piece of the puzzle! I'm definitely buying a pro licence!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it had what you were looking for :)

Out of curiosity, what direction did the other program change? I'd just like to check in on what others' expectations are so I don't make similar mistakes.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

I was using Trillian. Back in the day I was using it as a 3rd party multi instant messaging client for ICQ, AIM etc. At the time most of these services were coupled with an email account so they had super simple email checking too. As the world moved on from ICQ and AIM I kept it for the email checking. They have now switched over a Slack/Teams model while not removing the email checking and some 3rd party IM (Jabber etc.) but at the same time not actively pushing it. But, as things like Windows updates and OAuth2 come along, bugs are introduced in the mail checking and not really fixed as it's not the core of the product. In the end it was START TLS compatibility that made me move on from it.

I had it set up like the "account mode" view in POP Peeper but when you mouse over the account it has a popup with something like "message mode" view with the messages from that account. It worked well for me for privacy so I could discretely see if I had an email on a personal account while at work without having all my email on the screen.

Also, I bought a pro license!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I (fondly) remember the heydays of Trillian and ICQ. And then the mega corporations who had taken over the IM market decided to self-implode...

No such plans for POP Peeper :mrgreen:

Thanks for buying a license.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. The popup on hover is an interesting one and I could see its uses.