OAuth2 GMail error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Montagar

OAuth2 GMail error

Post by Montagar »

One of my GMail accounts gets an error when I try to setup OAuth2 (other accounts are working).

When using Web Browser (code) I get the following error:
Access blocked: POP Peeper’s request is invalid

XXXXXXX@gmail.com
You can’t sign in because POP Peeper sent an invalid request. You can try again later, or contact the developer about this issue. Learn more about this error
If you are a developer of POP Peeper, see error details.
Error 400: invalid_request
When using Web browser I get the following error:
POP Peeper could not initialize this method (possible reason: older OS's need to run as admin). It is recommended that you create an App Password instead of using Oauth2 on this device. Press OK to open Google help page.
I am running POP Pepper as administrator (Windows 10).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: OAuth2 GMail error

Post by Jeff »

I know it can be confusing, but each service has their own restrictions on which methods are supported that aren't currently baked into PP's logic. So, to narrow it down in your case:
- Gmail *only* supports the "web browser" method ("code" and "embedded" will not work)
- The "older OS" message typically applies to end-of-life OS's (e.g. Win7); Win10 should work without running as admin. (and when it suggests "running as admin", that usually means right-clicking on poppeeper.exe and selecting "run as administrator").

OK... so, most likely what's happening is that something on your computer is blocking the default method. This method requires the use of a kind of temporary server on a specific port of your computer (but it should be noted that this data is sent directly from your webbrowser to the local port) and it's possible that something else running on your computer is blocking this. Try disabling any real-time security software you have running (temporarily, until the Oauth2 process says it was successful) and see if that works. Let me know if it does, and if you know specifically which software caused the block.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

I turned off the virus protection and still getting the same error. I set this Windows 10 Pop Peeper up using the data from my previous Windows 7 install. I went back to the previous computer and the OAuth2 setup works on that one.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Are you running any other kind of security programs? I'd say something more along the lines of a software firewall? (a hardware firewall wouldn't be relevant). Windows firewall shouldn't be a problem unless you've made custom modifications. Otherwise, try rebooting your computer.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Not running any other security programs and just running the basic Windows firewall. Is there a way to export the client from the Windows 7 setup and import it into the Windows 10 setup?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to confirm -- did you try rebooting your computer? This may clear out the range of ports that PP tries to use for this.

What I would recommend at this point is that you use an app-password; this won't affect your ability to use Oauth on another computer. Here are the instructions:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If you'd prefer to use Oauth2, then email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll run some diagnostics.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Sorry for the late reply but I was only just now able to restart my computer. That must have been the issue because it worked after the reboot. Thanks for your help.