Rules - Actions

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sakima

Rules - Actions

Post by sakima »

I am trying to create/maintain a fairly simple action rule:
If FROM a specific address (+FromAddress contains or equals name@somedomain.com),
AND older than a day ago (+Date > 1),
THEN Change background color.
I had it working just fine.
Then I edited the rule and it stopped working, so I put it back. Still not working.
I deleted and re-created the rule from scratch. Still not working.
I edited again, but changed the foreground color, not background. That worked.
I edited again, no change of foreground, change background. Doesn't work.
I've tried changing the user icon. That works.
But background color still won't change.
I also tried checking the delete box but the message is not deleted.
It *seems* that some of the actions don't work consistently when a rule is edited,
BUT, I assume I must be doing something wrong.
Any input is appreciated.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Rules - Actions

Post by Jeff »

I'm testing this and I haven't gotten too deep into it, but I wanted to report that there does seem to be an issue with the background color -- some colors just don't work, but others do. For example, of the preset colors, the first 4 (after black) seem to work (the dark red, green, yellow, blue, and there may be more, that just happens to be what I tested so far); but some of the lighter colors do not work (ie. the bottom row -- blue, pink ,cyan); but yellow on the 2nd-to-last row works.

As for delete not working -- you may want to see if you have another rule that's applying the "don't auto-delete" action. By default, the white list applies that action. This prevents rules from accidentally deleting email from someone you trust. To see what's happening, right-click on the message and select AntiJunk -> Show evaluation (or "test message in sandbox" to see more details).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, this will be fixed in the next update (current is v5.0.3). Thanks for reporting this!

I was on the right track with the dark/light colors -- there was a bad calculation that ignored a certain range of colors. This affects both fore- and background colors, so if you weren't seeing it with the foreground colors, I'm presuming it's because you were using dark colors for the foreground.

As for the current version, what you can do is make sure that none of the Red/Green/Blue values are greater than 252. It's more complicated than that, but that's the simplest rule to follow to avoid the miscalculation, and the resulting color won't be too far from the original.

For example, if you want to use cyan, then use Red/Green/Blue = 0/252/252 instead of 0/255/255 and you probably won't even tell the difference. Press the "other" button at the bottom of the color picker to specify these values.

PPv503_NearCyan.png
sakima

Post by sakima »

Perfect, thank you!

I didn't think about "don't auto-delete" in the whitelist so that resolved one issue.

Choosing a different color did work, so I'm good until the fix comes out.

I've been digging more heavily into rules lately after having used POP Peeper years, so this really help.

Thanks again!