Yahoo errors - Serverbug/Fetch, Limit/Capability

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jjgui1

Yahoo errors - Serverbug/Fetch, Limit/Capability

Post by jjgui1 »

Several of my accounts in Yahoo are failing to get thru this morning. :shock: The errors are not the same for each account, though. One is reporting "Error ([SERVERBUG] FETCH Server error - Please try later)" and the others are reporting "[LIMIT]CAPABILITY Service is temporarily not available". To me, these seem like service response issues coming from the Yahoo server side (bad hair day for them!), but I could be wrong. I'm running 4.0.1.0 PP with everything updated. My Yahoo accounts are using the IMAP configuration and had been working up until within the last 12-24 hours. Anyone else seeing the same or similar? :?:
No sig here (i don't smoke hehe)
mjs

Re: Yahoo errors - Serverbug/Fetch, Limit/Capability

Post by mjs »

Yes I've also been getting the "[LIMIT]CAPABILITY Service is temporarily not available" errors during just this morning with Yahoo.

Also I've been getting "Error (Send)" errors on various Yahoo accounts for the past week or so. This would on the surface appear like an odd error in that it has nothing to do with my sending mail using PP since I have not done so.

Neither error is necessarily persistent however as generally both of these errors will definitely clear themselves very soon usually on the very next mail check (that said, it can occasionally take a couple of mail check passes to clear however inevitably the error will eventually clear but will once again reappear later on on subsequent checks) Btw, I have not as of now gotten the "Error ([SERVERBUG] FETCH Server error - Please try later)" errors so far however.

All errors are confined to Yahoo.

So jjgui1, no you are not the only one getting the Yahoo errors.

I see nothing about reported problems with Yahoo as of this time.

jjgui1 - I have a question: Do you find these errors to be persistent or do they tend to clear by the next mail check as is the case with me? :?:

btw, jjgui1 - I like your sig :wink: :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Hi lakrsrool - my warnings and messages seem to be somewhat spontaneous, and non-repeatable on demand, if that makes sense. I'm seeing only 1 account with an issue (earlier it was 4) and the SERVERBUG error is now reported as the LIMIT CAPABILITY. :? It morphed! :lol:

I agree that with time many of these transient errors seem to self clear. Today, however, they were sticking around for a few hours so I thought I would float a new topic out there just in case. Of course, the one email box in particular that I need to get into at the moment is also the one still showing the problem. :x

Thanks for the confirmation, though, that this is not just an apparent case of my insanity, but indeed a Yahoo thing. #-o
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Someone emailed me with the same limit/capability error so I checked out my own accounts. On my first test, PP just timed out after sending the login info. Several attempts on several Yahoo accounts thereafter all succeeded, but still seemed slow.

Ok, just got the limit/capability error.

My first thought about that error was that maybe the "limit" meant that you had exceeded some sort of bandwidth restriction, but if it's intermittent, that doesn't make sense. Besides, I very rarely use this particular Yahoo account and I shouldn't be anywhere near a practical bandwidth restriction.

A couple of suggestions:
1) Wait it out and hope that Yahoo sorts it quickly
2) Use WebMail instead of IMAP by setting the "Server Type" to Yahoo. You may want to consider creating a new account to do this (you can right-click on the account and select "duplicate account" and then adjust the new account); PP has to re-retrieve message information for all your existing messages so it is not really practical to switch back&forth. You can then disable one or the other, and right-click -> checkmail to see if it's working again (more than one test is probably necessary, though).
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Jeff - Just when I thought it was safe to get back into the Yahoo waters (meaning the stranded account issues were going down), the sharks would come back and I would have a number of broken & bleeding accounts. Darn sharks! So, I created duplicate accounts as you had suggested (didn't know about that feature - thanks for the bating me with the bait! HA). For each new duplicate account switched to using server type "yahoo" now, I needed to "check stats" and then "check mail" in order to get PP to see the proper unread count and header information. I left my IMAP accounts alone on the beach by deactivating/disabling. Plunging back into the email waters I went, splashing away with the yahoo server types.

I try not to retain mega loads of messages in each account. My biggest account has only 45 messages in the inbox, so not too painful to re-read the data.

Side note: I do utilize the folder capability with the webmail interface of Yahoo. This allows me to sort out and archive some while taking the burden off the inbox. However, I've never been able to access that sub-folder structure in PP, as you know. Did I read that somewhere along the upgrades, PP was going to be able to eventually read and process those sub-folders and included emails as well? Just something I'm that came to mind so I thought I would ask while I'm working on this reconnecting issue. Shame on me for jumping the shark with a different topic! [-X

Thanks for the 411 and helping me from becoming another piece of shark dinner today.

(No, I have no idea why I'm speaking in terms of sharks and treacherous ocean waters today. :?: :roll: )
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

I've been getting the same errors and as of today nothing has changed.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Hi,
I am getting same random errors, usually timeouts.
Here is an odd one:
AYahoogordonwilson55eb [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error ([CLIENTBUG] LOGIN Command is not valid in this state)

Oh, I see that yahoo acknowledges the problem, says it is fixed??
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102691441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But if you read the comments below, some still have the problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the link gordon.
https://twitter.com/YahooCare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you click on the "tweets & replies" tab, they are acknowledging a *lot* of problems with Mail. The issues that I've clicked on seem to mention iDevices and not others. Perhaps iDevices use IMAP and others use POP3 or something else? Anyway, they do acknowledge a problem so hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

jjgui1 -- remote folders are supported via the Plus Pack.
FAQ: Folders: How do I access folders other than the inbox?
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Thanks, Jeff, again for the helpful info.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed a strange and cryptic error from the land of Yahoo. User gordon gets the award for the most unusual and verbose Yahoo-ism! =D> :lol:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Recent Yahoo problems may be attributable to recent changes implemented by Yahoo this month of which one noticeable change is the new Yahoo inbox design that Yahoo has come up with recently: Your Emails, Now Nicely Grouped by Date. Check it out, you may not have noticed the changes if you don't usually log-in directly to Yahoo email. It's been a few days now of intermittent problems with Yahoo in PP so I've been slowly changing from IMAP to "Yahoo" server-types for some accounts but even so am still getting occasionally "Error: Try again later. (-1021)" or "Timed Out" errors on accounts switched to "Yahoo" server-type (that have become somewhat persistent during the past few hours) in order to avoid the other errors mentioned in this thread.

Its probably best to continue with a wait and see approach in the expectation that Yahoo will resolve the problems that continue to crop up from time to time since it seems errors occur (while different) whichever PP Server-type is used (actually for the moment IMAP seems to be working better in PP). I haven't found any problems accessing yahoo accounts on the web if at least already logged-in.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Has anybody seen a consistent change in reliability? I just checked my accounts and the check mail process seemed much faster than my previous tests. Also, Yahoo's twitter page is no longer a constant barrage of "we're aware of a problem with mail" so hopefully things are back to normal again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:Has anybody seen a consistent change in reliability? I just checked my accounts and the check mail process seemed much faster than my previous tests. Also, Yahoo's twitter page is no longer a constant barrage of "we're aware of a problem with mail" so hopefully things are back to normal again.
Noticing no errors for some time now today and yes also did notice that the mail check process has appeared exceptionally quick as well. After reading your post here Jeff I decided to check it out and requested a few mail checks to establish how fast and found after doing several mail checks they are averaging a duration range of between 18-30 seconds (only once more than 24 seconds doing about 8 mail checks btw) to check for all of our 30 PP accounts (of course it makes a difference that no mail is arriving during these mail checks but still obviously very fast and to be frank I'm at a loss as to how this many accounts can actually be checked in this short of time). So yes, I'd say that's quick and without any errors including no more of those annoying Yahoo errors recently that we've been getting one of which has been the "Error (Send)" errors on various Yahoo accounts in our case that seems to me to be referencing an odd type of error considering we haven't been sending any mail at all during the time when those errors occurred.

So are these quicker mail checks in part a function of the different accounts working more smoothly and/or error free?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool wrote:So are these quicker mail checks in part a function of the different accounts working more smoothly and/or error free?
There are several factors involved, but if you have even 1 Yahoo account, then it looks to me like they've improved (for now). There's a setting in POP Peeper that tells how many accounts should be checked simultaneously. The default is '2' so if you had at least 2 slow (Yahoo) accounts, then they were bottle-necking the others and preventing other accounts from being checked. In general, '2' is an adequate value, but you can experiment by bumping it up a couple:
Tools / Options / Mail Check -- "Maximum simultaneous threads"
Note that "Advanced Options" on the General Options page must be enabled
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:So are these quicker mail checks in part a function of the different accounts working more smoothly and/or error free?
There are several factors involved, but if you have even 1 Yahoo account, then it looks to me like they've improved (for now). There's a setting in POP Peeper that tells how many accounts should be checked simultaneously. The default is '2' so if you had at least 2 slow (Yahoo) accounts, then they were bottle-necking the others and preventing other accounts from being checked. In general, '2' is an adequate value, but you can experiment by bumping it up a couple:
Tools / Options / Mail Check -- "Maximum simultaneous threads"
Note that "Advanced Options" on the General Options page must be enabled
We have 8 Yahoo accounts of the total of 30.

Good point regarding the "maximum simultaneous threads" setting, I've had this setting set to a maximum of "5" for a very long time now (it's been so long I can't even recall when I did originally set it). So of course that would speed things up, but in as much as this setting has been this way for a long time this presumably would not be a factor as far as what accounts for the perceived faster mail checks more recently so based on what you've said the improvement would be I guess due to "accounts working more smoothly and/or error free" that I mentioned above which would necessarily be related to for the most part improved Yahoo reliability presumably. When Yahoo was having the problems I'd often have 2-4 accounts come up with errors per mail check so that could have as you say been "bottle-necking" others accounts at the time. Btw, since the Yahoo problems I had increased two of the default "connection time outs" in PpTweaker from "60" to "90" thus matching the default "SMTP" "connection time out" setting of "90" which might be possibly helping in regards the occasional "time out" errors we were getting.

Of course the "maximum simultaneous threads" setting at "5" would account for why the "mail checks" are so very fast as of now with the Yahoo problems apparently resolved that is considering that there are a total of 30 accounts to check on each pass. Presumably my idea at the time in regards to "5" simultaneous threads in relation to 30 accounts was to divide them up in more or less equal groups of 6 accounts for each thread (5 threads, ~6 accounts each = the 30 accounts assuming threads are balanced which makes sense) to make mail checks that much faster thus accounting for why the mail checks are currently faster than one would intuitively expect (I had forgot about that setting of mine). Any ideas why Yahoo at the time they were having issues was putting out "Error (Send)" errors on various Yahoo accounts at times even though we were not sending any mail at all during the time when those errors occurred? (my guess is that they were just erroneous errors produced by Yahoo presumably that caused the misleading error description). Btw, with mail actually arriving (7 new emails) for the mail check pass checking our 30 accounts it took 105 seconds this morning (5-24) w/ just one error, the "Error (Send)" that I mentioned above. Then later this morning it only took 25 seconds with 6 new emails arriving and with zero errors (less than half the elapsed time of the earlier mail check with one error), so while there are obviously other factors involved as well it does undoubtedly appear that errors can definitely slow down the time it takes to complete a mail check. Both mail checks are of course an accurate gauge to determine current mail check elapsed time since mail was actually arriving in these two examples as well as the fact that this also demonstrates how much longer a mail check can apparently take if and when errors do occur.

Addendum: Oh btw, Jeff - I kind of figured you'd have a much better explanation regarding that "white box" issue: Annoying issue since last upgrade". I should have suggested as an alternative for itsmeintorre to consider waiting for a better explanation from you as to what the likely cause of the problem was which yours is of course. :idea:

Addendum 2: Say Jeff, any idea what this error might mean (seem to typically be Outlook errors): "Error (Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError)" :?: They've been popping up now and then including this morning (5/23) again. The good thing is that these specific errors are not pervasive and are definitely not persistent as they typically clear on the very next mail check. Since they do typically clear quickly do you agree that it's not worth switching back to "Hotmail/Outlook" server-type from "IMAP" to try and avoid them? (because these errors are not at all pervasive and do generally clear the very next mail check it's not worth starting a new thread on the topic)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Any ideas why Yahoo at the time they were having issues was putting out "Error (Send)" errors on various Yahoo accounts at times even though we were not sending any mail at all during the time when those errors occurred?
That error does not actually mean it has to do with SendMail; it means that an error occurred when PP tried to send a command, for example the connection may have been severed.
lakrsrool wrote:"Error (Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError)"
It sounds like a command ("select" specifies what folder it wants, e.g. Inbox) was attempted before logging in. The "server error" could imply something went wrong on their end.