Setup instructions?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
iamthekings

Setup instructions?

Post by iamthekings »

I am new to Pop Peeper and am a bit challenged with how to set things up when it comes to various types of email ...
All of the tech-speak that seems to be 'common sense' to many is not so to me.

Is there a "Pop Peeper for Dummies Quick start guide"?
Just so you know... I am stuck on the very first page... The "Connections" page, and it keeps erring out. #-o
mjs

Re: Setup instructions?

Post by mjs »

Welcome iamthekings,

For starters from the POP Peeper main menu click on "Help" then click on the "Contents..." tab (top-far-left) and then click on the "+" sign in front of "Introduction" (or just double-click on "Introduction") which expands the "Introduction" help where you can read further regarding "First-time Users" and "Creating Accounts" by selecting these help options.

What I would suggest you do is create an account using POP Peeper default settings where they are provided and then see if the account works. (testing an Email account can be done by right-clicking on an account in the left pain and selecting "Check mail"). You can always change settings or delete an account and start over by editing the Email Account by selecting the account (click on it) listed the the left Account List pane of the POP Peeper main window and clicking on "Accounts" in the main menu where you can "Add...", "Edit..." or "Delete..." accounts (or right-click on the Email Account in the left pane and select from the Context Menu you get). You will find that there are many ways of doing the same thing. :wink:

If you are already using an Email Client (program) to get your email messages, there is an Import Accounts option when using "Accounts" > "Add..." which will create your accounts for you depending upon the Email Client you are using. Btw, the next POP Peeper build soon to be released will setup all account settings automatically for you (much of the settings are already automated actually, more so when using the default, preferred IMAP protocol).

Now that you have installed POP Peeper you have probably already seen this but just in case you can click here for product information: http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/

Please feel free to post any further questions after reading the "Introduction" in POP Peeper "Help". Other members of the The Esumsoft Team may have additional comments as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, iamthekings!

Lakrsrool has provided you with very good, extensive information which should help you understand POP Peeper better, and as he indicated, feel free to post back with any questions you may have.

As you are new to the Esumsoft Forums and POP Peeper, we ask that you review the info provided in the following Sticky topic:
Information for new users and forum members.

It contains additional helpful information to further acclimate you to using POP Peeper and the Forums.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This may be too many cooks in the kitchen, but I don't think anyone responded directly about the specific page you were asking about -- the "Connections" page.

I can see that that page may be a little daunting to many people and it's probably not useful for a large majority of people... I may re-evaluate the need for some of that information. As far as the "http proxy settings" specifically, you can just leave that at the default.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

Thanks Everyone!
It turns out that the instructions are accessible and very helpful.
Installation went a little clunky for me and I didn't look where I needed to.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

I have one other question..
In my webmail accounts... I have subfolders and sub-subfolders.
Is there an option of importing those structures?
If not, will there be in the future?

It looks like there is that option in Advanced 2, but it is not clear where the "Folders" selection is.
mjs

Post by mjs »

This folders topic is best covered by Jeff, in the meantime you may want to look into the POP Peeper Plus Pack, scrolling down the page covers Remote folders.
PP PP remote folders.png
The POP Peeper FAQ will have more information on this, among other things, by scrolling down to "Plus Pack". Also in PP "Help" > "Contents" > Search = "folders", press "List Topics" select (double-click) "Folders", notice "This feature requires the POP Peeper Plus Pack: http://www.esumsoft.com/pp-plus/".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

I purchased and installed the POP Peeper Plus Pack already.
I just am having a time of it trying to figure out how to populate the same folders and contents to my local machine.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

Ok. I think I have it figured out.
I was looking for the option in the post setup area. I had to go back into the set up and go from there.
Each folder shows up as a sub-account in the given account.
That makes my account panel really messy... but ... I dunno...
mjs

Post by mjs »

As a follow-up (which you are probably already aware), it appears as long as you have "Advanced Options" enabled (checked) in "Tools" > "Options", "General" tab
Advanced Options enabled.png
then by editing existing IMAP accounts, folders can be accessed (setup).
IMAP folders.png
I have personally never used these options so since it is the weekend I am only posting the information in the interim until other members of the Esumsoft Team can follow-up.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

On most of my folders I get the following error..
"Error (User is authenticated but not connected.)" for that particular folder.
I don't know that Hotmail likes all of the disconnecting and re-connecting for each folder and sub folder.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

Thank you for replying on the weekend.
I will wait to hear more from them.

Perhaps it could be an improvement in a patch or next version.? :-)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Are you using OAuth2 or using a password? If you don't know the answer to that, it's not actually important, just something I would like to know for reference.

What I recommend is that you edit one of the accounts that's failing and press the "OAuth2" button. If it asks you to reset (this means that you are using OAuth2), then press "Yes" to reset the credentials and then follow the instructions to re-allow POP Peeper access to your email. That should hopefully fix the problem for any of your accounts based on that email address.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

I used OAuth2 for the password entry (as it was recommended).

Just to clarify... The accounts are not failing.
I have one email address that I have had for a long time. It is my main account.
When I added the folders and sub folders in that account, to Pop Peeper, it added the FOLDERS, as Accounts. (Very annoying to say the least. The folders should not be separate accounts, but folders under an account)
Now, when I do a check mail (or it does it every 15 minutes) it goes to each folder, logs in, checks the folder, logs out, goes to the next and repeats... Logging in and out for EACH folder on the SAME account.

Typically this might not be an issue, but I have many folders and sub folders on that account.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One of the original reasons why POP Peeper treats folders as a regular account is so that other accounts can be monitored for new email (remember, PP is designed as an email notifier, not email manager). ie. if you have server-side rules that automatically sort your email into different folders. However, this is not how most people use it and, honestly, I've never used server-side rules myself for that purpose, so it doesn't even fit my own needs. This is something that will be addressed in a future version (possibly v5.0).

That being said, the multiple threads accessing the same account isn't really an issue (unless you have lots of accounts on the same address) because imap is designed that way. A single thread can only monitor one folder at a time, so to be notified of multiple folders, the client has to use a thread for each folder (I'll rephrase that for any people who may want to argue the simplistic explanation: a single thread can only idle in a single folder).

Further, there are some tips you can do in the meantime if you don't like that each folder is logging in/out:
- Disable the folders and only check them manually (via right-click)
- Keep the folders enabled, but only have PP check them periodically; edit the account and go to the Advanced tab to change its polling interval (if you don't see 'Advanced' -- from the main menu, select Tools / Options / General; enable "advanced options"). Make sure that you disable idle in this case (idle makes the polling interval meaningless).
- Use Idle. At the very least, you should be using idle for your main (inbox) accounts. Based on what you've said, this is probably not the best option for folders for your situation, but thought I would mention it anyway as it does reduce the number of logins as the account stays connected and does not log out.
iamthekings

Post by iamthekings »

Thanks Jeff.

I think my expectations were set too high.
Pop Peeper will work fine as a notifier.

If I need to do housekeeping, I will log into the actual account.