GMX error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ws3333

GMX error

Post by ws3333 »

Got an email from GMX:
Please adjust your GMX server settings to continue using POP/IMAP/SMTP without service interruption!
Why do I have to make changes?
For security purposes, we are conducting a system update which could cause a service interruption in sending or receiving emails with the settings you are currently using!
Therefore, we ask you to check the settings and update them accordingly:
POP3 server: pop.gmx.com (port 995), with SSL or "encryption" enabled
IMAP server: imap.gmx.com (port 993), with SSL or "encryption" enabled
SMTP server: mail.gmx.com (port 587), with STARTTLS, TLS or "encryption" enabled
Note: Please use the server names listed above with the domain “gmx.com”, even if your email address ends with a different GMX domain.

After making the changes, I continuously get an error - Gmx Error (Send) - yet sending email works

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
RSS: 4.0.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.0.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 18:17:03 - 18:17:04 (1 s) (-0700)
Data: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 18:17:07 -0700

--- Error ---
Gmx [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'mail.gmx.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Send)

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks much.
mjs

Re: GMX error

Post by mjs »

That error may eventually clear, if not see if these settings work for you.

"General" tab (incoming):
mail.com setting in general tab.png
"Send Mail" tab (outgoing):
mail.com settings in send tab.png
mail.com settings in send tab.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 6203 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I think that lakrsrool's settings should work, but specifically what I see set incorrectly is that you're using STARTTLS on port 993. Use the "SSL/TLS" option with port 993.
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

I think the "SSL/TLS" option with port 993 worked. Thanks again.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

I just created a GMX account. The above 'imap.mail.com' does not work, but the following 'imap.gmx.com' does.
GMX.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

I just tested both of my mail.com accounts using these settings and they both worked (received mail via IDLE push) in PP using the "imap.mail.com" Server name.

Using "imap.mail.com" with Port 143 and STARTTLS and PP retrieved test messages for both accounts with these settings:
mail.com worked 1.png
Note: these accounts were originally mail.com accounts when they were created.

Addendum: Also the server "imap.mail.com" will work with Port 993 using SSL/TLS with IDLE enabled as my test had messages getting retrieved by PP as well via IDLE/push protocol.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote:I just tested both of my mail.com accounts using these settings
Have you tested a GMX account? Is mail.com the same as GMX? When I searched for the latter, I got the former: http://www.esumsoft.com/index.php/searc ... mit=Search
mjs

Post by mjs »

Matthew Wai wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:I just tested both of my mail.com accounts using these settings
Have you tested a GMX account? Is mail.com the same as GMX? When I searched for the latter, I got the former: http://www.esumsoft.com/index.php/searc ... mit=Search
GMX purchased Mail.com a few years ago, so yes they are the same. The GMX servers will presumably work as well.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My previous gmx account was deleted (due to inactivity, most likely), so I created a new one. Once I got it created and enabled imap, imap.gmx.com works, but imap.mail.com does not. And vice-versa for my (existing) mail.com account.

The notes appended to the end of the mail.com were from back when mail.com and gmx originally merged. The notes aren't relevant anymore so I've removed them. For reference to this conversation, the first note was that imap.gmx.com could be used if imap.mail.com didn't work; the 2nd note indicated that imap.gmx.com may only work for premium subscribers (which came into affect sometime after the first note was posted).

mail.com and gmx.com are owned by the same company (1&1).
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Jeff wrote:imap.gmx.com works, but imap.mail.com does not.
I suggest adding this to http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... ailComImap, which says nothing about GMX.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In this case, mail.com and gmx.com would require separate listings since their settings aren't the same. The list of email services listed in the faq isn't intended to cover every email service. With the latest feature added in v4.4 that allows POP Peeper to retrieve the server settings from an online database, listing services in the faq is redundant. But I've added it to my notes to update the faq.