E-mail from Microsoft displays Bing search page

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Steven0

E-mail from Microsoft displays Bing search page

Post by Steven0 »

I had a very strange thing happen to me yesterday with Pop Peeper (latest version). I got an e-mail from Microsoft with a subject about something or other, and when I opened it up in Pop Peeper I saw what looked to me like a Bing search page looking for .HTML. I was supposed to get a regular e-mail with some data. My Pop Peeper is set to block graphics, and normally it does. I thought you might want to hear about this one.
spc3rd

Re: E-mail from Microsoft displays Bing search page

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Steven and thanks for your report.

One question for you: If you log-in to the particular email account ONLINE via your browser, to view the email in question there, does it look the same as what was displayed in POP Peeper?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team should be dropping-by to provide further feedback to you.

Best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you still have that message in POP Peeper, I'd like you to send it to me (via email, as it may contain too-sensitive information for the forum) using this method:
1) View the message in POP Peeper
2) From the menu, select File / Save message as
3) Save the file
4) Email that file as an attachment to (support at esumsoft dot com); be sure to include context as to what the problem is (and a link to this post would be nice, too)
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

I see the intended message in Gmail.
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

Here's attached one from Skype (also = Microsoft)
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed attachment as it contains sensitive information
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

P.S. workaround to see orignal e-mail is V)iew plain text.

Steven
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I was able to view the message in POP Peeper without issue.

Does this affect all your messages or just certain ones? Specifically, does it affect other messages when viewed with *HTML* (not all messages may have HTML)?

What Windows version do you have?
What version of Internet Explorer do you have?
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

I opened another unrelated e-mail and it displayed the same Bing search results page for .html. Looks like it's on my end.
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

I do see Pop Peeper as the default mail app in windows 10 settings. I don't use any local e-mail app.

I think I have Internet Explorer 11, and I have Windows Home (updated and current). Does IE use Bing? I know that Edge does.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Both IE and Edge (WIN10) are Microsoft browsers so they would both default to the Microsoft Bing search engine.

To verify you have IE11 (as far as I'm aware - I do not use WIN10 myself), it should be located by going to "Accessories" > "Internet Explorer" from the Windows "Start" button.

If not found there then you should check to see if it is enabled from "Windows Start" by going to "Windows System" > "Control Panel", select "Programs and Features" (Note: if you don't see this, in the top right where it says "View by": select either Large icons or Small icons instead of Category). Then Select "Turn Windows features on or off" (on the left) and make sure the "Internet Explorer" box is ticked. If it was NOT ticked then tick the selection and click on "OK" and then reboot your computer (you should be prompted to do so). After the reboot you should see "Internet Explorer" in "Accessories" (if you did not previously have Internet Explorer enabled then perhaps this might have been the cause of your problem, Jeff would know more about this however).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Could you open your temp folder and let us know how many files are in that folder? To view your temp folder, just paste this into the Windows Explorer address bar or the Windows Run prompt (WinKey+R):
%temp%

If you have more than 65000 messages in the temp folder, that may be a clue to a known issue. If you do, you can either:
- Update to POP Peeper v4.5, which is currently in beta testing:
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/
- delete the bulk of the temp files