Whats going on with AOL? ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

Whats going on with AOL? ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later)

Post by techmanc »

I cant access AOL as of today and its like AOL wont work with Pop Peeper I using a vpn as it is needed for setup using a vpn.
The 1st thing I did was disable the vpn and still PP wont work with AOL I got this error message

Error ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.)

So now I tried and I can only access my email by using the chrome browser and no vpn is the AOL acct going away is Esumsoft working on fixes at least as far as using PP without the vpn active.

I am worried that my verzion.net is disappearing let's post this for some answers

Will PP work with AOL email?
How can use my vpn with Windows 10 Pro like I have been using with AOL email!
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title to make problem more visible
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Whats going on with AOL?

Post by Jeff »

Try enabling Oauth2 -- edit the account in POP Peeper and to the right of your username, change "password" to "Oauth2" and then follow the steps to grant POP Peeper access to your email.

If you don't see the password/oauth2 dropdown, then you'll need to change the server type to IMAP (oauth2 is not supported for POP3 by POP Peeper).

For Verizon, you'll need to use the imap.aol.com incoming server with Oauth2, as per this article:
https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... evice-imap
techmanc

Re: Whats going on with AOL? ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later)

Post by techmanc »

I dont have any auth setting to set after I used the new setting pretty sure what I got from your reply and the other settings email I get this error and I can no longer see my emails I turned off the vpn to make sure that was not part of the problems.

XXXXXXXXX Verizon (consecutive errors: 4)
Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials) --

Edit account: pp://EditAccount?TWljaGFlbE1OIFZlcml6b24=
Last edited by mjs on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to ensure privacy
mjs

Post by mjs »

You need to be using PP v5.1 or newer - see this topic and look for the references to AOL (that apply to you in regards to AOL).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For Verizon, first change the "incoming server" and then change the server type to imap. Specifically, setting the "server type = imap" will recalculate whether the "oauth2" option is available or not, since it's not available for all servers. So if you do it in reverse order (set to imap and then change incoming server to imap.aol.com), then it won't display the option; in that case, you can just re-select server type = imap and the oauth2 option will be displayed.

If you've already changed imap and the server and saved the account, then simply editing the account again should trigger the necessary prompts.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I use pp for 3 email types hotmail gmail and verizon I see no Try enabling Oauth2 --
I checked many times I have I set the setting right I am using pp 5.2

I need the verizon email to work the most than my mail email account
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

just did

POP Peeper v5.1

There is a test version available for v5.1. This version adds OAuth2 support for AOL and it makes the "web browser" method the default for both Yahoo and AOL.

If you have a license for POP Peeper (e.g. Pro, Plus Pack or a webmail subscription), you can access beta/test versions via the auto-update method. To enable this:
1) From POP Peeper's main menu, select Tools / PPtweaker
2) Select the "Troubleshooting" page (left, bottom)
3) Enable "opt into early release / beta updates" at the bottom
4) Press OK
5) To force POP Peeper to check for the update immediately, go to Help / About and press the "check version" button
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

this the setting I used

Server Settings Port Settings
Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net IMAP-993-SSL
SMTP-465-SSL

I enabled the setting for Enable "opt into early release / beta updates" at the bottom
mjs

Post by mjs »

You posted:
techmanc wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:58 pm ... I am using pp 5.2
-- so your POP Peeper version is fine (nothing to do concerning your PP version if you're using v5.2 as you stated).

To clarify - you are only having problems with AOL account(s).

Have you set the "Incoming server" to "imap.aol.com" in your AOL account(s)?
And do you have the "Server type" (incoming) set to "IMAP"?

Have you tried resetting the "Server type" to "IMAP" again?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I hope can do some patch to fix the problem I use PP to get my emails and the verzion acct is the most important email I use daily if you some setting to do I will try those also!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The announcement for the v5.1 test version is outdated and irrelevant. If you have v5.2.x, then you have the necessary version.

Here's a screenshot of what you should expect to see in PP:
PP_AolOauth2.png
There are no patches planned; there have several Verizon users who have emailed me and said that these instructions have worked. While I can't test myself because I don't use Verizon, the setup is exactly the same as AOL (which I have tested) and therefore it should work.

It would help to see a screenshot of your account page like I included. You can either PM a screenshot to me or if you include it in the forum, make sure that you blank out any identifying information (like I did in my screenshot -- I just deleted the email address and login name before taking the screenshot and then "cancel" the account so it didn't save; but note that the original account name is still displayed in the titlebar, so if that's PII, don't submit the screenshot in a public forum [you should also delete the password as the number of characters would be displayed]).
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I have 5.2.2 PP worked yesterday then I thought I was having problems due to my vpn or AOL AOL is there and I disabled the vpn so just when I get my email it won't work with my verizon act but hotmail and gmail works,
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I dont have box that thats Oauth2 to.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I see nothing related to Oauth2 other than in the tweaker I dont want patch I want PP working with my verizon/aol acct should reinstall where does the Oauth2 show up dont see that in PP?
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

when I try to use the new acct auto-config I get
incoming server pop.verizon.net
outgoing server smtp.verizon.net

I have no to change pop.verizon.net I assume the current problem.

I reinstalled PP as well,

There are some manual setup as well not sure how to edit those settings.

the incoming server imap.aol.com ssl and imap
the send setting are smtp.verizon.net ssl smpt port 465
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You need to provide a screenshot of your edit-account/General page (ie. the equivalent of what I provided in my previous reply) so that we can see what the problem is.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

how can post the images I dont use picture website atm?
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:23 pm how can post the images I dont use picture website atm?
Take a look at this page: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post or a PM. If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's a guide for taking screenshots here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5540

Also, here are step-by-step instructions for creating a new verizon account, and then converting to imap/oauth2:
1) main menu: Accounts / Add
2) "Create single"
3) select "Email" (vs rss; if prompted)
4) enter email address, @verizon.net
5) Leave the defaults alone (Pop3) for now
6) Don't bother with password, set others to your preference

7) Edit the new verizon account in PP
8) Make sure the "login name" is the full email address; e.g. username@verizon.net -- since you're using aol.com servers, it won't know if your login name is for @verizon or @aol (while this is probably necessary to login, it's not required to show the oauth2 option)
9) Set the incoming server = imap.aol.com
10) Change "server type" = IMAP
11) At this point, you should see the password/oauth2 dropdown next to the login name; select "Oauth2" and you'll get a prompt with further instructions

If you still don't see the Oauth2 option -- are you sure that you have v5.2 and not v5.0.2 or something? The current version is v5.2.2

One last thing -- I had almost forgotten about this, but there are configuration files that allow PP to setup an email address correctly (by default, PP gets the data from the ISP itself [very few ISPs are setup for this] or from a Mozilla database [which isn't always kept up-to-date, as in this case]). I've added this config file for the next release of PP for Verizon.

I would still recommend following the above steps, because if that doesn't work, it likely means you don't have the latest version of PP and the config file won't work either. But I can provide the config file which will work with v5.2.2.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

outlook 2019 not working so when I checked I this I could not recive email and the saw this post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHsT_ItXYCA