rambler.ru

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
joan123

rambler.ru

Post by joan123 »

I've got an email address at

https://mail.rambler.ru/

and it gets mail ok but always fails to send mail. Here is the log

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.2.2.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.2.2.0
SendMail: 5.2.2.0
Profile Picture: 5.2.2.0
AntiJunk: 5.2.2.0
Spell Checker: 5.2.2.0
Trusted Sites: 5.2.2.0
PPTweaker: 5.2.2.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

--- Error ---
something@rambler.ua [0: POP3] ['pop.rambler.ru' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.rambler.ru' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Error verifying message terminator
Server Returned: 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later (#451)
mjs

Re: rambler.ru

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum joan123 (and if your new to POP Peeper, then welcome to POP Peeper as well).

The error 451 that your getting is often just a temporary error that will generally resolve itself in time.

However, if this error has been persistent in our case for some time then there are a few questions we have for you:

1) is this a new account (that you've just setup)?
2) if not then did this account use to work (in the past)?
3) and if so, how long has the account been failing to send messages?

If it has worked before and the send issue hasn't been for very long, try waiting for awhile to see if the issue gets resolved.

But if this is a new account and it has never worked or has been a problem for a very long time then please post (in this topic) what you have for your SMTP settings in POP Peeper.

These setting (as you probably know) can be located by editing the account and going to the "Send mail", 2nd, Interface) to find the settings near the top.

For example:
Do you currently have the following settings (for "Send mail"):
Suggested settings
Suggested settings
suggested settings.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 24013 times
Or do you have these settings:
Try to use in POP Peeper
Try to use in POP Peeper
try settings for PP.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 24013 times
If you currently have (are using) the former top (first example) then try the second example of settings (just above) in POP Peeper to see if this helps with sending messages.

If it does help, if you like you should be able to change your incoming settings to match this (or if messages are getting retrieve fine as you have said they are you could probably just leave it the way it is).
To match the settings if the different (second example) latter "Send mail" settings worked would then be for incoming (using the top "General" tab window for the settings):
Incoming Server "outlook.office365.com" with IMAP port set to "993" and IMAP security set to "SSL / TLS".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
joan123

Post by joan123 »

It is a new account.
The settings I have used match the rambler help instructions.
The account also does not work from thunderbird with those settings (thunderbird retrieves messages ok but won't send them).

I have waited for 3 days up to now for it to be resolved.

All other accounts work in poppeeper (yahoo etc).

I tried using starttls as you described and it returned the same error. I used smtp.rambler.ru as the server.

I didn't use office365 as the server because I don't have an account there, and as far as I understand it, it makes no sense to use my rambler password with a microsoft server. In any case, preventing microsoft, and therefore the nsa, scanning all my mail is kinda the point of the rambler email (I doubt the russians care what I write in my emails).

All I can think is that the rambler smtp server blocks mails sent from outside russia and other countries that it likes, but I know of no way to confirm such a theory. According to their help pages, it should work.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I agree the settings you are using:
Incoming Server: imap.rambler.ru, IMAP port: 993, IMAP security: SSL / TLS
Outgoing "Send mail" SMTP Server: smtp.rambler.ru, SMTP port: 465, SMTP security: SSL / TLS

Are expected to work on Thunderbird, and if so should also work on POP Peeper.

That said, it appears the "Send mail" settings aren't working as expected (for some reason). :?

We will get back to you later today.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The only other suggestion I can make is to ensure that the "server requires authentication" is enabled on the edit account/SendMail page in POP Peeper. But "service unavailable" does suggest there's probably something more to it and you could be on the right track regarding locations; smtp error 4.7.1 often means that the error is specific to the user (as opposed to a general error).

Also, while this probably isn't a factor, it's generally a good idea to make sure you're using the latest version when you have a problem and before contacting support. The latest version of POP Peeper is v5.4.6 and, perhaps more importantly, the latest version of SSL is v1.1.1.21 (the latest SSL will be updated with the main PP install, if you use the exe installer).
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/
joan123

Post by joan123 »

Just for completeness sake I downloaded the latest version of poppeeper and it's the same. Here's the log:

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.4.6.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.19
IMAP: 5.4.6.0
SendMail: 5.4.6.0
Profile Picture: 5.4.6.0
AntiJunk: 5.4.6.0
Spell Checker: 5.4.6.0
Trusted Sites: 5.4.6.0
PPTweaker: 5.4.6.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

--- Error ---
Rambler [0: POP3] ['pop.rambler.ru' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.rambler.ru' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Error verifying message terminator
Server Returned: 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later (#451)
I see that a lot of the results when searching for "smtp error 4.7.1" talk about greylisting and being blocked by a relay, usually related to spam. I don't send many emails, none spam, as I'm just a normal nobody and don't even run a business that sends emails. In any case, it would seem that some server somewhere doesn't like my IP address and is blocking it, perhaps the one in russia, perhaps one somewhere between here and there. I was hoping I'd found a decent usable free email that doesn't want your phone number to sell and that wouldn't spy on everything you do, but that's a forlorn hope these days.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

joan123 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:17 pm I was hoping I'd found a decent usable free email that doesn't want your phone number to sell and that wouldn't spy on everything you do, but that's a forlorn hope these days.
Unfortunately, I think the last remaining choices for email are:
- The big 3 (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook; I consider AOL the same as Yahoo)
- Paid email
- Email services that focus on privacy (the downside to that is that their methods don't work with POP3/IMAP)
- Your ISP

Back in the days of poppeeper.com, I hosted a review site for free email services and there were a dozen or more choices that offered free POP3 service (this was back in the days before imap was widely used). Some of the email services are still around, but they've either gone paid-only or privacy-only.

Have you looked into Yandex (also based in Russia)? I know little to nothing about it, just something I thought of when you first mentioned Russian email services.
mjs

Post by mjs »

As I recall, Yandex has fairly recently changed to pay-for-service only. I know, because a few months back I was seriously considering Yandex and found out that I had just missed a possible opportunity of getting "grandfathered" into a "free" account since they had recently at that time abandoned their free service. #-o I think it's relatively inexpensive, however - paid on an annual basis amounts to a little over 1.00 a month as I recall. But, considering all the still free options, that's history for me unfortunately. I could be wrong, so it's worth confirming this however.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just discovered this on the web: How to Get a Free Yandex.Mail Account, (it's probably dated, but I'll check it out and report back)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Tried the link out and got this:
Oh well, it was worth a try :)
Oh well, it was worth a try :)
It looks like I was right, the opportunity for a free account has apparently passed (probably within the last 8-10 months or so at the outset :cry:...)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Bummer.

I had apparently created an account in 2016 (probably the last time I accessed it, too). I just tried logging in via webbrowser and it still recognized my account. It told me I hadn't logged in for over 2 years and so all my email was deleted; tried PP and it failed with the following error:
Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN invalid credentials or IMAP is disabled

Looking to see if I just needed to enable IMAP somewhere in the account I found that it requires either Oauth2 or an app-password. Created an app password and now it's accessible via POP Peeper. And not to rub salt in the wound, but smtp also worked.
mjs

Post by mjs »

joan123, if your interested in highly secure email accounts that provide end-to-end encryption that are still free, I know of 3 (all 3 have "premium" accounts as well of course, or at least I know the first two do for sure):
1) ProtonMail
2) Tutanota
3) MailFence
Problem is, none of these 3 can be used with an Email Client (because of the end-to-end encryption they provide, i.e. IMAP, POP is not available). I personally use an app named Rambox - where I can at least group all three of the Email Service accounts in one app for easy access (as the app simply uses the web to access the accounts).

Oh and then there's also:
4) Vivaldi.net - that is an interesting choice of which you can get one free account by installing the Vivaldi browser (which I probably use the most of myself) - and Vivaldi has an encryption option for sending messages and still provides the IMAP protocol so can be used in an Email Client (just can't send encrypted messages via a Client). I'm not sure why the others (above cannot or will not work this way, probably because it's end-to-end encryption hence IMAP remains possible). However that said, it does seem to me that in the case of at least Tutanota and MailFence, encryption is optional.

Addendum: Oh, I just now recall that ProtonMail does offer an optional "mail bridge" that allows Protonmail to be used in Email Clients - but that software is only available through the "Premium" Service and costs even more beyond the cost of the Premium Service to use it if I'm not mistaken.
Personally I in general go with the "free" options myself, still too many reasonably good free options to pay for the service, imo.
Last edited by mjs on Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to add Addendum comments at bottom of post
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hmm, just noticed this regarding MailFence - quote:
Block in Russia
On 5 March 2020, Mailfence reported that their SMTP servers are blocked by Russian based email services. This was in response to their refusal to submit a Notice of Commencement of Collaboration with Roskomnadzor’s (the Federal Supervision Agency for Communications, Information Technology, and Mass Communication) of the Russian government. Mailfence did not respond to this request, citing obligation to provide information about users, violating its Terms and the federal Belgian laws.
link (wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailfence. Not sure if this still stands as of today. :?

I would add, in regards to the (secure) Email Services I've previously mentioned, there are other encrypted services, I just can't vouch for any others as I've only used the four referenced above. Oh, and not sure if any others there might be are "free" or not as well. As far as what I personally like the best (of the top 3 secure Email Services previously listed), that would be Tutanota.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:52 pm ... I had apparently created an account in 2016 (probably the last time I accessed it, too). I just tried logging in via webbrowser and it still recognized my account...
That's amazing your account was still good :shock:, that just doesn't happen very often at all. Lucky you!! =D> (their reportedly a pretty good Email Service actually from what I've read).