Automatically view messages in HTML

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
GaryS

Automatically view messages in HTML

Post by GaryS »

Using Pro 4.01. How do I get messages to automatically display in HTML? When a new message comes in it is in text mode. Under Legit I check Whitelist address and Whitelist domain. Under Tools/Options I have checked the boxes to have messages display in HTML. Next time a message from the same user arrives it still displays in text mode and I have to double click to get it to display in HTML.
mjs

Re: Automatically view messages in HTML

Post by mjs »

When you say quote: "I have checked the boxes to have messages display in HTML."

So then this means that you've set the arrowed setting as you see in the image below (setting at "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" tab > "Default message viewing preference" set to "HTML"):
Default Message Viewing Preference setting
Default Message Viewing Preference setting
What do you mean by quote: "I have to double click to get it to display in HTML"? (double clicking on a message is how an email is opened in the PP inbox list of emails in order to read the email).

In the open message (Menu-bar):
1) When you double/click on an email to open the message then when clicking "View" in the open message MENU-BAR you should see in the drop down list that "HTML" is selected (radio DOT in front of "HTML")?
2) Also under "Options" > "HTML options" in the open message MENU-BAR is "Block external images and date" UNCHECKED?

If you still having the same issue then in regards to option #1 above: Instead of closing/re-opening the message, try switching to a different view and then back to the original, e.g. assuming it's HTML to start with, switch to plain text and then back to HTML to see if this makes a difference with the problem displaying HTML messages (not intended as a solution but just to see what happens).

Also for PP Pro in regards to messages displayed in FULL HTML: Additional information regarding "Smart HTML Viewing" in the PP Pro application interface main menu: Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" and press F1 to open the context-sensitive help.

If you're still having problems then try disabling (unchecking) "Smart HTML viewing" for now (setting at "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" tab > upper most option, uncheck the "Smart HTML viewing" option) leaving all other settings as they are and see if this finally helps display messages in HTML (doing this will return to how v3 performed in regards to displaying HTML in messages).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Please refer to the guide here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... /#viewhtml

btw, instead of simply adding the user to the whitelist, you should mark the message as legit. This will not only add the user to the whitelist but also train POP Peeper, so it's much more likely that the next email from that sender will be considered legit. It's not guaranteed that just because the sender is in your whitelist that it will be considered safe; there may be another filter that bumps the message toward the side of being "junk". If the banner at the top is blue or red; then it won't open in HTML. The banner must be green (as well as the sender being in your whitelist).
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I discovered the problem. I had checked the Smart HTML Viewing box. I noticed in your reply that this box was not checked so I unchecked it and now messages display in HTML when I double click on them in the list of messages. To be honest I have no idea what Smart HTML Viewing is but assumed, incorrectly, that it had something to do with viewing the messages in HTML mode when they first open. Now that I have unchecked that box it displays messages in HTML as expected.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Actually that setting "Smart HTML viewing" is an option available in the PRO version that should not be a problem thus is a feature that you may still want to consider using in the manner in which you were attempting to use it in viewing HTML that incorporates the AntiJunk feature of Pop Peeper PRO. I had only suggested the option to uncheck the feature to get your HTML emails to work for now which by disabling is equivalent to as I said "how v3 performed in regards to displaying HTML in messages". To use the full features that you have available to you in the Pop Peeper PRO version you still might want to look over the information posted by Jeff just above your post as to how to use this feature correctly and see if this information might help in doing so.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers