Safe mode?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Mitchell

Safe mode?

Post by Mitchell »

I'm back in Windows after being on Linux for nearly a year while my old computer was dying (Linux handled it as it was dying better than Windows did). But I sure did miss my POP Peeper in the meantime. I'm on a brand, spanking new PC and am getting back up and running with POP Peeper.

Is there a way to open POP Peeper in safe mode so that it doesn't try to access mail? i.e., at least to launch it without it doing anything?

Thanks.
spc3rd

Re: Safe mode?

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome back, Mitchell!

Running Windows in Safe Mode typically limits which programs are allowed to start-up, so I'm not 100% certain my instructions will achieve exactly what you want. The only method I'm familiar with is shown below.

Open the PP interface, click on [TOOLS] > [OPTIONS] > General.
Check-mark the box that says "Run PopPeeper at WIndows Startup." Click the [OK] button to save the setting.

Next, click on [TOOLS] > [OPTIONS] > Mail Check.
Under the Heading "Scheduling", click the arrow to show the drop-down menu, and select, "Do not check mail immediately."
Then click the [OK] button to save this setting.

I suggest you exit PP and restart your computer to ensure it works as you expect. Please post back to let us know if this accomplished what you wanted or if you experience any problems.

Hope this helps & best regards,
Global Moderator
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Erm, Pete, thanks so much but I was actually hoping to know if there was a way to run POP Peeper in safe mode, not in Windows safe mode but in a PP safe mode? <lol> Sorry for the confusion!! There are ways to troubleshoot in a safe mode in many programs (i.e., Micro$oft programs and Firefox, to name 2), as you probably know, so was hoping the same was true for PP. The only reason I mentioned my new OS was to explain why I was away from PP for a long time and why I needed to do some extensive work on the latest PP version.

See, I can't work with the new interface any better now, it seems, than a year ago <sigh>. I'm sorry to say it, but that's the way it is for me. And since everything I knew was on the old version, I need to refer to it to try to mimic its cleaner, more efficient and defined interface as much as possible. But with my old email accounts in the old version tying it up and making it freeze, I can't get anywhere, no matter how quickly I try to press the "stop" button <g>. If I could launch PP itself in some sort of safe mode, then I'll be be able to get into the old interface and look at what I need to - going by memory just isn't cutting it! <g>

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Even though Pete mentioned Windows safe mode in the first sentence, the rest of it was on point for what you want to do. PP does not provide a way to set that via the command-line, if that's what you're wondering. By default, PP does not perform a checkmail immediately, which would give you plenty of time to disable AutoCheck; if you've set it perform a checkmail immediately, then you'd have to press the "stop" button and then you can disable AutoCheck (press the green button on the bottom-right).

I would dare say that the newest version is more efficient -- I would never change something to become less efficient. I also can't say that a whole lot has changed, but the different background colors are probably the most noticeable difference. But you should refer to this article, as it makes v4 virtually identical to v3, while allowing you to keep some things in v4 that you may prefer. Or "should" prefer :)

http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... rading-v4/
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Jeff, thank you so, so much for your reply. I somehow missed the notification email amongst all the varying background colours! <g> Glad to report that I and my eyes thank you for the most excellent link you provided above where I learned that all this is trainable feature and that over time, I'll soon have pretty much programmed in the acceptable email types by whitelisting, etc., which eliminates the background colouring! Phew! Huge relief <g>.

Also, turns out I didn't need a safe mode! Unbeknownst to me, Windows10 seems to have pretty much migrated over to 64bit. The old POPPeeper's flickering and instability and freezing were greatly improved when I figured out that I had to run it in compatibility mode. Like, d'uh!! I just didn't know this before. Glad to say that after stumbling over PPTweaker, I was also able to eliminate a lot of the other issues. The rest, the background colours (which were the worst problem for my eyes), are just an indicator and soon the 'training' of PP will take care of them.

So there's very little left. I'll get used to the other small new things that are different. These have all so far been very minor and very much within reason.

But if I might ask, how do we get smaller icons in the toolbar? They're too big for my eyes now, which seems paradoxical <lol>. But what can I say ... <sigh>. Though the icons seem to be the same size as previous versions, there is so much more to do that the extra icons added now make this toolbar fill the entire width of the screen and are too daunting a size for me. Or if there isn't an option to change to a smaller size (common in this type of toolbar in other apps), that we can request this for future versions (?).

Also a last question, are there shortcut key options for the evaluating of emails for junk mail. i.e., making an email legitimate works by pressing "L", and marking as junk by a "J". But whitelisting and blacklisting by either address or by domain, 4 other different options, result in a whole bunch of extra mouse movement and clicking. Is there a way to configure custom key strokes for those, instead?

Thanks! What a relief to be getting more back to my 'normal' in PP <g>.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Mitchell wrote: Also a last question, are there shortcut key options for the evaluating of emails for junk mail. i.e., making an email legitimate works by pressing "L", and marking as junk by a "J". But whitelisting and blacklisting by either address or by domain, 4 other different options, result in a whole bunch of extra mouse movement and clicking. Is there a way to configure custom key strokes for those, instead?
In the mean time until Jeff checks into the forum tomorrow you might want to take a look here; from the Pop Peeper main menu go to "Tools" > "PPTweaker..." > "Shortcuts" tab where you'll find many built in shortcut keys (similar to what you've mentioned) and also where you can optionally assign your own shortcut keys if you like as well for Pop Peeper. :wink:

In regards to "smaller icons in the toolbar", I am personally not aware of a way to change this (other than what I've mentioned below). Sometime tomorrow Jeff will be reviewing the board and be able to perhaps add to this.

One thing that will reduce the size of the Toolbar Icons (buttons) is if you remove the "text" from the Toolbar which will result in smaller button icons (as illustrated below). The icons are considerably smaller without text and therefore take up less room on the toolbar (as you can see in this to scale comparison):

With TEXT which is the default (click on image to enlarge to full scale):
Toolbar Buttons with TEXT (default)
Toolbar Buttons with TEXT (default)
WithOUT TEXT (click on image to enlarge to full scale) as you can see the icons are smaller and take up about half the space across the Toolbar:
Toolbar Buttons withOUT TEXT (makes buttons much smaller)
Toolbar Buttons withOUT TEXT (makes buttons much smaller)
As illustrated in the comparison above, the icons in the Toolbar without text takes up about half the amount of space across the toolbar compared to icons with text.

Changing this setting is done with a right-click in an empty area of toolbar:
Check or uncheck to enable/disable text
Check or uncheck to enable/disable text
Disable or Enable Text on Toolbar Buttons changes size of Toolbar buttons.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
And of course you can either remove/add Toolbar icons as needed (using "Customize", see image above) or you can also remove the Toolbar altogether and just use the Menu bar. :idea:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, since you have Win10, are you also using 125% (or higher DPI)? If so, I would highly recommend downloading the v4.2 beta:
http://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/
This will make text and graphics look much crisper. This will also make the toolbar *slightly* smaller, as can be seen in a comparison screenshot here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/blog/pop-peeper-v4-2-dpi-fixes/

But, otherwise, lakrsrool's suggestion of removing the text is the only other way to shrink the toolbar buttons; or remove unnecessary buttons.