I totally fudged my Pop Peeper -HELP-

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
baconcheddar

I totally fudged my Pop Peeper -HELP-

Post by baconcheddar »

It all started with a warning from Google that somebody was trying to get into one of my Gmail account.

I changed the password and that's when I all screwed up.

The first change was that I couldn't compose messages anymore from PP. I got the "The email client failed..." warning for my five accounts, 4 Gmail and one Hotmail are all useless now.

After checking the forum, I tried adding gmail.com in the "email client" but if I try to compose an email, it opens a tab on Gmail itself not a window on PP. :cry:

Also from the forum, it was suggested to switch the connection type from permanent to "assume always online" which I did, I don't think it changed anything.

Worse of all, I don't know if you'll believe me but after x years of using PP, I just noticed the PPtweaker options in Tools! :shock:

I played with some options that must have resulted in the fudgery that I'm experiencing right now.

Right now, PP only checks for new email on one account.

Please help, I want my PP like it was before I messed up, thx!
spc3rd

Re: I totally fudged my Pop Peeper -HELP-

Post by spc3rd »

Hi baconcheddar,

Sorry to hear of the major issues you're having. While awaiting further review of your topic by other members of the Esumsoft Team, please provide a bit of clarification to help us out:

1. Did the problems begin AFTER you changed some settings in PPtweaker, or before?

2. Do you happen to remember what settings you changed in PPtweaker?

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

100% sure the problem started after I changed the password because writing messages was not possible. I couldn't select which account to write emails on as it closed PP.

Maybe it's just an unfortunate bug?

How about I uninstall-reinstall, will it start anew?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In order to send mail from POP Peeper (and not your client/webbrowser), the "send option" (under Edit account / Send Mail) must be set to either SMTP or WebMail; it sounds like yours is probably set to "email client."

If you don't see SMTP, then it means that the SendMail plugin is either unavailable or disabled. Go to:
main menu: Tools / Plugins
Find "SendMail" in the list and make sure that it's enabled (checkmarked).
If it's not listed, then re-install POP Peeper (do *not* uninstall).

I would recommend changing this back to "permanent":
main menu: Tools / Options / Connection

btw, my guess is that you had a bad chain of coincidences. ie. getting that message from gmail should not have caused any issues with the capability to send messages (except as an error if gmail rejected the login; but not affecting other accounts, particularly a hotmail account). Also, since you've been using PP for years -- edit each of your gmail accounts and make sure that the "server type" is using "IMAP" and not "Gmail" -- using "Gmail" will occasionally trigger that security warning from gmail and so using that setting is only recommended in extreme cases (ie. when imap isn't an option).

After you switch to imap, also make sure that "idle/push" is enabled (improves performance); and press the "Oauth2" button for the recommended security method.
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Ok:

I set all my accounts to SMTP.

Sendmail plugin was always there and checkmarked.

Connection back to permanent.

For all 4 Gmail and Hotmail, I changed all five from Gmail server to IMAP. When clicking on OAUth2, all by one let me put in the password. The lone one closed the window before I had the chance to write the pw.

*Server type: IMAP -SSL/TLS
*Incoming server: imap.gmail.com was the only one that said **Valid (SSl:993)

I checked IDLE/Push but not Enabled and Password Protected

After on Accounts > Edit > Send mail:

Send option: SMTP - SSL TLS
*SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com port: 465
Server requires authentification checked
Settings > SMTP Authentification > chose 1st option "Use same login as incoming mail server"

Despite all this, still cannot compose message and "check mail" doesn't refresh any of my accounts.

I... I'm going crazy without my PP. Please help further thx!
mjs

Post by mjs »

baconcheddar wrote:
I checked IDLE/Push but not Enabled and Password Protected
One glaring point is that the "Enabled" needs to be checked. Unchecked, the account is disabled.

To illustrate, if you go to "Account" from the PP Main menu and select "Show enabled checkbox" the Accounts List in the left pane will display if accounts are enabled or not based in the check-mark in front if each of the accounts (just for illustrative purposes, typically this column will be disabled and not show). By checking the "Enabled" option the account will be enabled (active) to Check Mail, and you'll then see the check mark appear in this column if you happened to enabled the column.
Check "Enable" for active account
Check "Enable" for active account
enable account.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Gaaaaah!

It was just that little thing? #-o

Indeed, I checked it and now, when refreshed, all my emails magically appear on PP so much respect! =D> Ah phew... [-o< Thanks again for the help!

Now, how can I write emails again without seeing the "the client email is empty...."
pop-up? Which box do I have to check/uncheck/fill? Thxplz.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Nice to hear we are making some progress. =D>

What you want to do at this point is right-click on an account and then select "Edit account..." from the context menu, then select the "Send Mail" tab in the left pane of the next window (see below) where you will then find the "Send option" settings. This setting should be set to "SMTP" if incoming mail (in the "General" tab) is either "IMAP" or "POP3", otherwise it should be set to "Webmail" in this window.
Send Mail settings.png
If what you get does not have the same 4 tabs in the left pane as illustrated above, more specifically does not have the "Send Mail" tab then from the main menu go to "Tools" > "Plugins..." and make sure that "Send Mail" is enabled (checked) as pointed out in the screen-shot below.
Make sure Send Mail plugin is enabled.png
If the plugin is checked and you do not have this "Send Mail" tab as pointed out in the first screenshot, then please post a screenshot of what you are getting (make sure and redact the email address, as I did, at top of screen-shot).

Also, assuming you do have the "SendMail plugin listed and it is checked (enabled) then make sure that its "Version" matches your version of POP Peeper (ie. v4.3.0.0) Note: If "SendMail" is either not listed or is old, then you need to re-install POP Peeper and make sure that "SendMail" is enabled (selected) in the "Choose Components" page during installation (the checkbox should be ticked). Note: If re-installing, do not uninstall (simply install over PP).

One last thing, what do you have in the option pointed out below ("Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab)?
Email Client.png
If you have a value that represents an Email Client that you do not have installed then that can pose a problem. If the problem persists and you have a value here, you could try leaving this option blank (doing so will result in your system default Email Client being used).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Good thing I learned to screen-capture a few days ago! Very useful 8)

So far so good in receiving emails.

I seem to have all the requirements:
pp1.PNG
pp2.PNG
pp3.PNG
Of course, If I leave the email client blank, I get the pop-up saying that I have to write one. I only know Gmail or Hotmail but I don't want to be directed to them to write stuff. I want to compose on PP, just like I used to less than 72 hours ago! :x
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Also, let's say I choose a contact in the PP address book, the account dropdown will be empty where before, it had my 5 accounts to choose from. I even had a pop-up telling to preset one for future emails. If I choose one account to write from, I will automatically get this pop-up:
pp5.PNG
It will then "force-close" PP and I'll have to click on the Start button to have it back in the taskbar.

:evil:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Your PP send mail is functioning very oddly of which I'm suspicious of possible corruption. :(

Before we go there, please provide us with a screen-shot of your storage settings under "Tools" > "Options", select "Storage" tab. Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

baconcheddar -- I've sent an email to request specific information from you.
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

lakrsrool wrote:Your PP send mail is functioning very oddly of which I'm suspicious of possible corruption. :(

Before we go there, please provide us with a screen-shot of your storage settings under "Tools" > "Options", select "Storage" tab. Thanks.
Gaaaah! Not the (other) c-word! :shock:

Here:
pp6.PNG
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Jeff wrote:baconcheddar -- I've sent an email to request specific information from you.
I didn't see anything? :?:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I emailed the address registered to your forum account. Email me from your preferred email address (support at esumsoft dot com). Link this topic in your email so I know who you are.
mjs

Post by mjs »

lakrsrool wrote:... please provide us with a screen-shot of your storage settings under "Tools" > "Options", select "Storage" tab. Thanks.
My mistake for not clarifying better, was expecting to see entire window as the more pertinent info is in the upper portion (which should look similar to what is circled):
upper part of storage settings.png
But that's okay, no need now that Jeff is requesting info via email. :wink:
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

lakrsrool wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:... please provide us with a screen-shot of your storage settings under "Tools" > "Options", select "Storage" tab. Thanks.
My mistake for not clarifying better, was expecting to see entire window as the more pertinent info is in the upper portion (which should look similar to what is circled): upper part of storage settings.png But that's okay, no need now that Jeff is requesting info via email. :wink:
I've hidden some personal info but it's pretty much the same strings in both fields:
pp7.PNG
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Jeff wrote:I emailed the address registered to your forum account. Email me from your preferred email address (support at esumsoft dot com). Link this topic in your email so I know who you are.
Oh, I just checked and your email went in the junk folder. I rarely use that one when I registered for PP. :x

I just changed the email for nothing, thinking it was the problem! :x :x

Anyway, I sent what you asked! Thx.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, problem should be resolved now (pending confirmation from baconcheddar).

The problem is that the account set for the default compose didn't exist. PP will be updated to address this case.
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

All is well that ends well!

Thank you again Jeff and his gang!

=D>
:mrgreen:
:D