Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

Post by mjs »

etienne53 wrote:The problem is recurrent and intermittent. Pop Peeper worked fine yesterday. Today, once again, it's not finding outlook.com and updating. I wish I could offer more than merely alerting you to a problem, but I have no insights to offer. Sorry and I hope you fix this problem soon because I really like Pop Peeper. It's been a great product.
As Pete had posted earlier in this topic; "... these type errors are typically server-side issues, and not indicative of a problem with POP Peeper." You might want to consider going over the suggestions to try to reduce the problems that Jeff has posted near the bottom of the previous page. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've included more information in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6789&p=34053#p34053

Specifically, I've added point #5 (logging Thunderbird) and information about changing your timeout value and exiting/restarting in the "suggestions"

If anybody does increase their timeout value, let us know if it seems to help and what value you used.

I'm also keeping a summary of the issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6791
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Error Retrieving Message [Error (Send)]
The above error on my Hotmail using IMAP just reappeared, while the one using Webmail is working fine.
webmjmweb

Post by webmjmweb »

This started happening to me too a few weeks ago. I have not found the solution. The MS servers are operating as always through their own and other clients. My Windows 8 laptop has not changed (happens from other machines too), my security settings for PP have not changed (made them very liberal to test), I re-authenticated Oauth, increased timeouts, exited and restarted after changes, ran as Administrator, increased thread priority, SMTP basic connection tests gave 200 (AOK) every time etc. I tried changing Server type from IMAP to Webmail, and it suddenly Received emails instantly. But it gave Error 0 on every attempt to Send. Finally, with Server type set to Hotmail/Outlook (defaults to imap-mail.outlook.com), and Send option as SMTP (defaults to smtp-mail.outlook.com) with STARTTLS port 587, it seems to be working so far. Stay tuned...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum webmjmweb - based on this:
webmjmweb wrote:I tried changing Server type from IMAP to Webmail, and it suddenly Received emails instantly. But it gave Error 0 on every attempt to Send.
if I'm not mistaken you have switched from the "IMAP" Server-type to the "Hotmail/Outlook" Server-type which solved incoming message issues. If this is correct then for Send Mail you will want to set the "Send option" to WebMail (as illustrated in screen-shot) for outgoing to work (if you have not already).
This is the Send Mail setting for the Webmail protocol ("Hotmail/Outlook")
This is the Send Mail setting for the Webmail protocol ("Hotmail/Outlook")
Send Mail for Webmail protocol.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
What's confusing to me is that you have also posted that you have set the "Send option as SMTP" which would not be the typical setting for the "Send Mail" option when using Webmail (Hotmail/Outloook).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Followup to above post as far as clarifying the following:
lakrsrool wrote:... What's confusing to me is that you have also posted that you have set the "Send option as SMTP" which would not be the typical setting for the "Send Mail" option when using Webmail (Hotmail/Outloook).
[b][color=#FF0000]Edit -- there is an explanation for the following in the next post[/color][/b] wrote:After testing this scenario, to my surprise, my results are when using the "Webmail" (Server type) protocol the error as previously mentioned by webmjmweb does occur as described when sending outgoing messages if the "Send Mail" option is set to "WebMail" (which is the automated setting in PP when the "WebMail" protocol is used).

It appears that for MSN (Hotmail/Outlook) accounts there is a problem of some kind with the "WebMail" Send Mail Option for Outgoing messages.
So while sending messages using"WebMail" for the "Send Mail" option does produce the error on the other hand however, using the alternate "SMTP" setting for the "Send Mail" option will send messages successfully without any errors as reported above by webmjmweb. (so by resetting the Send Mail option to "SMTP" when using "Webmail" [Hotmail/Outlook] "Server type" and then resending the messages, with errors, held in the PP outbox the messages will be sent without any problems).

I would like to thank you very much webmjmweb for posting this helpful information for us.

Also in as much as you are a new member to the forums, allow me to take this opportunity to provide you with a link to Information for new users and forum members that you may find helpful. This Sticky topic posted by Pete will provide useful information which will help better acquaint you with the Forums, the members of the Esumsoft Team as well as Forum Rules, details on posting & replying to topics along with many other additional resources etc.

Also there is an "Announcement" topic on the current Hotmail/Outlook IMAP errors that provides helpful hints and progress notes that will be updated by Jeff as new information regarding this problem becomes available to us. As noted in the link, keep in mind - these issues are due to problems with the Hotmail/Outlook's IMAP Servers (which is why in this case "Webmail" and possibly POP3 will in general likely reduce these current errors) and as such are not issues specific to POP Peeper.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to point out that an explanation for what is outlined above in this post has been provided in the following post.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Additional followup: I have been informed by Pete that as a result of an advanced search of the forum he has found a couple of posts by Jeff on Mar 31, 2016 and Oct 28, 2016 that state using the POP Peeper WebMail plugin to sendmail with the new roll-out that started about two years ago of the Outlook (Hotmail/Outlook/Live etc) interface has not as of that time been supported by POP Peeper as posted HERE and HERE (something I had forgotten about but now vaguely recall).

So thanks to Pete's help on this, the confusion is resolved. =D> And whether it's advisable or not we have found that using the WebMail "Server type" (in this case "Hotmail/Outlook") in order to help mitigate the current rash of MSN email account errors and at the same time using "SMTP" for the "Send option" will apparently allow messages to be sent successfully while using the Webmail plugin to hopefully reduce the current IMAP server issues that MSN email is having.

Of course Jeff will likely have more to offer on all of this as well. :wink:
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote: (so by resetting the Send Mail option to "SMTP" when using "Webmail" [Hotmail/Outlook] "Server type" and then resending the messages, with errors, held in the PP outbox the messages will be sent without any problems).
What are the other settings like the server, port, and SSL?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Matthew Wai wrote:
lakrsrool wrote: (so by resetting the Send Mail option to "SMTP" when using "Webmail" [Hotmail/Outlook] "Server type" and then resending the messages, with errors, held in the PP outbox the messages will be sent without any problems).
What are the other settings like the server, port, and SSL?
That would be smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, STARTTLS (or probably SSL/TLS), respectively (basically the default settings for SMTP protocol). Keeping in mind this is ONLY necessary to allow the sending of mail via PP when it may be necessary to use the Webmail (Hotmail/Outlook) Server type for MSN (Hotmail, Outlook, Live etc) accounts to get around the fact that sending mail via Outlook using the WebMail plugin is not supported using the current (newest) Hotmail/Outlook interface and is NOT necessary and NOT an approach that should be used for any other email clients.

On a side note: this is all subject to review by Jeff (but all does appear to be a functional PP outgoing message "workaround" involving incoming "Webmail" usage for MSN Client accounts). :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There are several downsides to Webmail support which are specific to Hotmail/Outlook, including:
- No attachments
- No Send
-> http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... ailHotmail

POP3 may be a better choice. Last I knew, though, Hotmail requires a 15 minute interval between checks.

But, in either case (webmail or pop3), you can use smtp as previously mentioned.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Hotmail with Webmail, Send Mail with SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, STARTTLS
Hotmail with Webmail, Send Mail with SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, SSL/TLS

It failed to send mail in both cases at my end.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotmail with Webmail, Send Mail with SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, STARTTLS

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.10
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Failed to Verify after RSET

--- Version ---

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 19:46:35 - 19:46:35 (0 s) (+0800)
Data: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 04:46:36 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Failed to Verify after RSET
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotmail with Webmail, Send Mail with SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, SSL/TLS

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 1]
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Could not connect to SMTP server

--- Version ---

--- Web Test ---
Error:
Time: 19:48:59 - 19:49:00 (1 s) (+0800)
Data: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 04:49:01 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 1]
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Could not connect to SMTP server
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just tested Send Mail again this morning with Hotmail account using Webmail, Send Mail with SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, 587, STARTTLS and did not get an error sending.

That specific "Failed to Verify after RSET" will occur if you do not have the Server Requires Authentication option checked. I disabled this setting and confirmed that this is the error I got, enabling this setting and resending the message from the PP outbox sent the message successfully without any error.
Required setting
Required setting
server require authentication must be enabled.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 8971 times
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote: have the Server Requires Authentication option checked.
I had just checked it and tried again, but it failed again.
Send Mail.jpg
--- Version ---

--- Error ---
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth XOAUTH2
Server Returned: (#535)

--- Version ---

--- Web Test ---
Error:
Time: 22:22:47 - 22:22:48 (1 s) (+0800)
Data: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 07:22:48 -0700

--- Error ---
7 Message(s)
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth XOAUTH2
Server Returned: (#535)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Not sure if this would make a difference in this case but do you have POP and IMAP option enabled in the Client account Options setting?
POP IMAP enabled in Client Options.png
garalare

Post by garalare »

so if I can get my mail from hotmail by logging into my account directly with no problem, and if I can get my hotmail on my cell phone with no problem, why do you say that the problem is not with PoP Peeper?

I think this crap needs to get fixed NOW!!!! enough is enough, enough finger pointing and putting the blame on someone else, the bottom line is PoP Peeper is not delivering!
mjs

Post by mjs »

garalare wrote:so if I can get my mail from hotmail by logging into my account directly with no problem, and if I can get my hotmail on my cell phone with no problem, why do you say that the problem is not with PoP Peeper?

I think this crap needs to get fixed NOW!!!! enough is enough, enough finger pointing and putting the blame on someone else, the bottom line is PoP Peeper is not delivering!
We can certainly understand your frustrations :cry: .... It all depends upon what settings (protocol) it is that you are using in POP Peeper. For example if you use "POP3" or the "Webmail" plugin (for Hotmail (Outlook) accounts the "Server type" would be "Hotmail/Outlook" in this case) then you will get better results as opposed to using "IMAP" which in that case you will at this time likely have more problems because the Outlook.com (Hotmail) IMAP Servers are what is causing the problems.

If you think about it, if the problems were isolated specifically to POP Peeper then the same problems would occur using the other protocols (POP3 or "WebMail"). If you are using the "IMAP" setting for a Outlook (Hotmail) email account you might try just one of them (assuming you might have more than one Outlook (Hotmail) account) and edit the account to change the "Server type" to either "POP3" or "Hotmail/Outlook" in which in case you should not see the same amount of errors for this account compared to other Outlook (Hotmail) accounts still using "IMAP".
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

garalare,

To supplement what lakrsrool has just posted...

Jeff and other members of the Esumsoft Team are continuing to work diligently on the current issues with Hotmail/Outlook. As Jeff has previously mentioned, significant issues like this have been known to occur once or twice a year with Hotmail/Outlook.

These type of problems take time to resolve, and such resolutions may not be forthcoming as quickly as a lot of us would like. *At present (on my end), I have not received any error messages on my Hotmail/Outlook accounts for just over 2 hours now.

Including remarks in your post which are aggressive and argumentative, are not only inappropriate, but disrespectful to those who are doing their best to resolve the current problem(s).
(Reference Item # 1 in the
Esumsoft Forum Rules).

Please refrain from posting any further inflammatory comments in your posts.

Thank you.
Global Moderator
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

I'm seeing the same type of errors with Hotmail & Outlook accounts. Reading this thread, I noticed that the SSL plugin that I was using was outdated, instead of having auto-updated to the latest: 1.0.2.10. So: after manually updating SSL, the errors related to Hotmail & Outlook seem to have gone away, at least for now anyway.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi rvail317, and thanks for your feedback.

Hopefully, you'll be lucky-enough to not receive any further error messages. I have the same SSL Plugin version, unfortunately I (along with a lot of others) still continue receiving intermittent error messages on Hotmail/Outlook accounts (primarily IMAP).

I did change one of my Hotmail IMAP accounts to POP3, and haven't received any errors on it......thus far, anyway.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've posted more information in the announcement:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6791&p=34096#p34096

I've been testing POP3 and WebMail and I can say that POP3 is definitely not immune to the problem (similar issues with "bad connection" and "send" errors), but it seems much better compared to IMAP. As for webmail: I don't think I've seen a single error.

Again, please post your results and whether you're using imap, pop3 or webmail; for example, how many errors were you getting last week versus today? Did it feel like you were getting errors 50% of the time last week and maybe 10% now? Feedback in that kind of format would be helpful.

As mentioned in the announcement, I've addressed certain deficiencies that have had light shed on them as a result of this ongoing problem. These don't cure the problem, but they do provide more accurate information and may lead to other improvements.

Some of you have mentioned that other clients aren't affected. Please let me know which clients these are and, more importantly, if you know the protocol that they're using (imap, pop3, EAS). I suspect that EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) is not affected by this problem. EAS is a proprietary/licensed protocol and it is my understanding that the Windows Mail app and certain mobile apps use EAS.