Processing Data...

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
nut

Processing Data...

Post by nut »

I'm using POP Peeper Pro v5.0.0.0 on Win10 Pro 2004 x64. I have separate accounts set up for each of the IMAP folders I want to be able to view with POP Peeper.

Each time POP Peeper starts, it has to download each message anew. This takes a long time and seems pretty crazy to me, to be honest. Some of the folders have many thousands of messages, and so "Processing Data... (n)" where "n" is some large number is common for me to see--and POP Peeper is not fully usable to me until it finishes.

Is this normal? Are the messages not supposed to be locally cached? I guess setting "Retrival option" to "Headers" rather than "Entire message" would help, but still not be ideal? Even using that setting, it takes eons. My goal is to simply see every message in the listing.
mjs

Re: Processing Data...

Post by mjs »

Please post your "Server info" data for all accounts by following the steps below.
1) Right-click in an empty area of the left Accounts pane in the main PP window to get this (context menu below):
Server info - all.png
Server info - all.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
2) Click on "Server info (all)..." (make sure the "Server info" has the "(all)" displayed).
3) Copy all of the information you see in the box (select the data and right-click "Copy" the data).
3) Paste that information here in this topic (right-click - select "Paste").

Thanks. :)

This information may be helpful to Esumsoft team members who will be following up on this topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
nut

Post by nut »

[All accounts]

Session start: Sunday, October 25, 2020 13:35:56
Ticks: 282

Server size: 2937806 KB
Mem size: 36315 KB
File size: 221852 KB

Last DB Maint (global): 10/08/20 00:36:03 (17 days)
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello nut,

In addition to what lakrsrool has requested, I have one additional question for you:

Are you using a VPN at all?

Thanks & best regards.
Global Moderator
nut

Post by nut »

Yes, I use a VPN, but my download speeds are quite good. It's not like not using the VPN would make the 6,000 messages in my Sent folder download instantly.

I think the issue is whether or not PP is designed to cache messages locally or not. If not, and this is just its design, then fine. I just want to know if something is wrong.
mjs

Post by mjs »

PP is designed to maintain messages locally (based on what you have described - it would appear there is perhaps a problem).

Please go to the "Tools" > "Options..." > "Storage" page and post the 2 values you are using for:
1) Ini Location
2) Data path

Also what "Access type" are you using for the "Tools" > "Options..." > "Connection" setting?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
nut

Post by nut »

For "Ini location", I have:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini

For "Data path", I have:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper

Of course, I am substituting "[username]" for my Windows user name, since I'd rather not post it here.

For "Connection Type", I have it set to "Using a permanent connection (Cable, DSL, T1, LAN, etc.)" (since I'm on a cable connection), and "Access type" is set to "Direct Connection to Internet".
nut

Post by nut »

Upon checking just now, none of the applicable data.db files have been modified since 10/2 - 10/4 (~three weeks ago).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you made any changes/modifications (i.e. security updates or installs) going back to that time that might be interfering or blocking PP?
nut

Post by nut »

I found the problem. I had preceded the "Account name" with non-breaking spaces (Alt + Num 0160), in order to make them look indented (so they appear more neatly as sub-folders of the main account). Using regular spaces caused "___" to be substituted in place of the spaces (which looks weird to me).

No error was thrown when non-breaking spaces were used, and everything else worked fine, so I did not notice a problem immediately.

Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for reporting back the problem/solution. I've just tested this and I can confirm that this has been fixed in the latest release (v5.0.3, though this issue was specifically addressed in v5.0.2), so I assume that you're still on v5.0.0.

There are currently 2 ways to get v5.0.3:
1) If you have POP Peeper Pro, you can access the early release channel as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7535

2) Download and install POP Peeper from the download page:
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/
When your browser prompts you to save the file, you should note that the filename includes "v503" at the end.

I'm expecting to officially announce v5.0.3 through POP Peeper tomorrow.